Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

I was never a Unity hater, I decided to leave it be when it was in it's infancy as I never found it to be particularly complete. I went over to Lubuntu on my Laptop and Netbook and Mint with Gnome 3 on my desktop. The desktop is due an upgrade so I think I'll give it a whirl then.

Beans

I agree with most of this video
    Ubuntu vs Xubuntu and More

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T972LxCS1h0

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlinzzz View Post
    I agree with most of this video
    Ubuntu vs Xubuntu and More

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T972LxCS1h0
    X-ubuntu? All this time i've been calling it "zoo-buntu"..
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Jakin View Post
    X-ubuntu? All this time i've been calling it "zoo-buntu"..
    I am pretty sure there will be many people calling it one or the other... neither being right wrong.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    The most annoying feature concerning Unity (and one that could be easily remedied) is choosing apps in the lens. Why oh, why oh, why (when I type in Terminal for example) do I then have to navigate to the Terminal Icon!?! This feature is so obtuse and annoyingly easy to remedy that it alone turns me off Unity. Gnome Shell's Activities overview is far superior in this respect. Like Synapse, I can type Terminal and hit return. Done. Unity should anticipate the software that I want, like Synapse or Gnome Shell, and hightlight it. C'mon boys.
    It may not look like it, but Unity does exactly that. Try it: hit dash, type in terminal and hit return... It WILL open your program (although in many cases it will also give you more options and - true - will not highlight your probable first choice.

Beans

I'm the kind of person that cannot settle on one choice, so I tested Unity, Gnome 3, Xubuntu, KDE, ... and what have you, not once, but many times over and again.

In fact, this thread makes me want to test Xubuntu again right this very moment, but I'm going to try to fight the urge for now.

The thing is: I always come back to Unity. For the simple reason that it has features that I've grown used to (dash, HUD, the notification bubbles, ...) and immediately miss when launching e.g. into Gnome 3.

I do agree what someone told earlier, that Unity has to cut loose from Compiz and evolve into sth more standalone. Then Canonical should try to make it more stable and quick.

This is a huge priority to me. Apart from that, I am a Unity fanboy.

Beans
    Hidden!

I can never live with Unity. My main desktop is now running Maya Mate, all other are running Maya XFCE (I also hate AWN , so no Xubuntu for me), Lubuntu or Puppy depending on their hardware power.
    Yes, you can tailor the desktop to your liking with Ubuntu, but
    it's never stable. I tried Ubuntu 12.04 with LXDE for 5 months, but my main desktop keeps crashing (with Thunderbird and Nautilus) so I gave up and defected.
    Habit dies hard, I still prefer this Forums to Mint's.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PJs Ronin View Post
    That one feature alone, Unity, nearly pushed me back to using *******; heresy I know, but that's how much of a retrograde step I feel Unity is.

99.99999% of my computer activity is either mouse based or it's entering text like I'm doing right now. Unity helps none of those activities and compels me to use the keyboard more than I previously did. That is not a productivity gain in my books. I also have some specific issues with Unity (although I will be the first to admit I'm not a Unity genius) viz:
    • I'm not sure which flavour of Unity I was running, but there were times I could not get rid of, or hide, the unity launcher... thus cluttering the desktop,
    • my bottom panel would disappear and I thus lost access to my desktop cube listing. This becomes a real problem when an application on another face of the cube is screeming for attention and I can't get to it. Sure, I know I can go to the 'switcher' on the Unity launcher but that triples the number of mouse actions to get to the appropriate cube face.

Today was the 4th time this year I have tried to come to grips with Unity and the 4th time my computer (and me) has been screwed. If Shuttleworth thinks this is the future of Ubuntu then I am super glad that today I downloaded Mint.

/psychotic rant
    Mint is the best choice at the moment for a normal easy to use desk top.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Viiral View Post
    Its slow.. I prefer Cinnamon
    Iam currently using cinnamon also ike it very much. I have tweaked 12.10 ubuntu unity and its usable but still not the best at the moment.

Beans

I alternate between Unity and Cinnamon depending on my mood, relying mostly on Cinnamon lately. I am so conflicted.

Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast