Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

Regarding one comment that complained Unity was intended for a touch screen, while complaining about it's heavy reliance on the keyboard in the same paragraph.

Am I the only one that sees a disconnect there?
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    Regarding one comment that complained Unity was intended for a touch screen, while complaining about it's heavy reliance on the keyboard in the same paragraph.

Am I the only one that sees a disconnect there?
    Not really a disconnect mate..
    I mean, for a touch screen you would emphasize the App-Drawer kind of view of your stuff so you can easily "flick through" pages of applications with your fingers. This of course takes way more time than pointing through menus on a desktop platform so the middle-ground is to implement a search function so you're forced to "type" what you're looking for.
    They say the pen is mightier than the sword...but Steven Seagal is mightier than the Pen AND the Sword. http://tinyurl.com/ybnsx2w
    Don't have Dropbox or any cloud-hosting yet? Click this -->http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1MDE3NzY5

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fontis View Post
    Not really a disconnect mate..
    I mean, for a touch screen you would emphasize the App-Drawer kind of view of your stuff so you can easily "flick through" pages of applications with your fingers. This of course takes way more time than pointing through menus on a desktop platform so the middle-ground is to implement a search function so you're forced to "type" what you're looking for.
    who needs to flick through menus? if i want to launch an app it's much quicker just to start spelling the name
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    I would think many forum members using Unity would have pinned terminal to the launcher anyway!
    Keyboard Shortcuts FTW

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    who needs to flick through menus? if i want to launch an app it's much quicker just to start spelling the name
    I'm only referring to what was quoted above from the person who said he cba using his keyboard.

Anyhow, to counter your question -> Who would want to overhaul and destroy a completely functional UI just to be able to search and launch an application when there's already tons of available apps that offers the same functionality? Synapse, GnomeDo etc
    They say the pen is mightier than the sword...but Steven Seagal is mightier than the Pen AND the Sword. http://tinyurl.com/ybnsx2w
    Don't have Dropbox or any cloud-hosting yet? Click this -->http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1MDE3NzY5

Beans
    Distro

I have unity enabled.. Instead I mostly use compiz effects, cairodock, and the hud--I find that I almost never click on the unity sidebar...the only reason I still have it is because it includes the hud, which I can't get enough of.

Beans

I suppose I'm one of the few that's liked Unity from the beginning, even in Natty. The one thing I didn't like about it when it was first introduced was the global menu ... but since they added the HUD to it so I can just Alt'n'Search for menu items and stuff in the tray, it really is a great feature and I'm finding more and more ways to use it.

That said, as of 10.04 I had already disabled the panels completely, and ran completely off of two AWN docks and Gnome+Do. With all the options already out there, I found clicking away at the traditional menu and panel system to be increasingly disruptive and irritating. So, by the time Unity came about, I never really had to adapt to it. It complimented the workflow I already had.
    Any advice given is the direct result of my experience solving my problems on my system. I have no idea what I'm talking about. ~bouge

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

When I first heard about Unity I was very excited, but the initial implementation in 11.04 left me going back to 10.10. But by 11.10 I came to like it, and in 12.10 it rocks.

The only thing I'd like to see now is a flyout menu for the desktop switcher icon so I can go directly to a specific desktop in one move rather than the two-click move I do now.

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with Unity these days. I've even gotten over my fear of the concealed menus.

I like unity
    it reminds me of windowmaker and my mac with the dock at the side

all i need now is a nexus7 or one of those microsoft tablet things to experiment with to see what its like for touch
    please check out my blog I have a linux tips section

Beans

I haven't chimed in around here in a long, long time but I have to say I have grown to really like Unity. At first I was like many others, initially disgruntled because someone moved my cheese. But rather than storm off to look at some other distro or stubbornly remove Unity, I decided to give it a chance.

I've tested Cinnamon and MATE on a Mint VM, and I really like Cinnamon, but I'm sticking with Unity and Ubuntu. I think Unity will turn out to be a good move by Canonical when all the smoke clears. Heck, I'll probably end up with a Ubuntu phone and tablet, I would imagine.

Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast