Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

Quote Originally Posted by John_McCourt View Post
    I like Unity on new machines, but it's a bit slow on older ones. I think the introduction of Unity made an impact on how many people use Ubuntu, but I have to be careful what I say regarding this as the moderators don't like to hear negative stories about Ubuntu users.
    It's not that we don't like negative stories about Unity, it's that most of the complainers have nothing new to add to the conversation, most of what we've seen posted in this thread has been said so many times already, that it just gets tiring. If you've got something new to add, by all means do so, but make sure your research what you have to say before doing so.

Beans

I always liked Unity. The Unity desktop experience was never the problem for me- it's the resources baby. One of the great attributes of many Linux distros is the ability to use them to resurrect old hardware. There are nice distros that use very little ram and hd space, like damn small linux and puppy linux. But i love the Debian (and Ubuntu) repos- i can get most anything i need there. But i prefer not to buy my computers, so i look for donors (usually relatives or friends who are upgrading their hardware, and plan on disposing of their old, slow, antiquated machine/s). so if the machines aren't too antiquated, I install Ubuntu with lxde as the DM (i.e. Lubuntu). I may be somewhat perverted, but I love to resurrect old machines that people have discarded. And i can't do that with Unity- it's too bloated. Otherwise, I love it.

Beans

Decided to give it another go on my htpc today and I think it's quite nice. It looks pretty and is great if you are only doing one thing at a time (ala browsing the web on your tv). Also I think it would be nice on a worstation type setup where you are only focusing on one thing at a time. Having the launcher bar auto hidden gives you the entire screen to work with and zero distractions (unless you go looking for them). I think that once you add a second monitor and have plenty of screen real estate to work with it loses it's shine. But I would definitely throw it on a laptop. And to those who say it's a tablet os I just don't get that. Works great with keyboard and mouse. Put your favorite apps in the launcher bar for one click launching and everything else just hit the windows key type what you want to open and hit enter.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    Decided to give it another go on my htpc today and I think it's quite nice. It looks pretty and is great if you are only doing one thing at a time (ala browsing the web on your tv). Also I think it would be nice on a worstation type setup where you are only focusing on one thing at a time. Having the launcher bar auto hidden gives you the entire screen to work with and zero distractions (unless you go looking for them). I think that once you add a second monitor and have plenty of screen real estate to work with it loses it's shine. But I would definitely throw it on a laptop. And to those who say it's a tablet os I just don't get that. Works great with keyboard and mouse. Put your favorite apps in the launcher bar for one click launching and everything else just hit the windows key type what you want to open and hit enter.
    Big +1...that is what i have been saying here for a long time (lol)!

Drives me crazy when they say it's only for a tablet...it's just a dock for pete sake...
    I do make my unity dock a bit smaller (38 pixels) because i like the way it looks that way...and i add my favorites and frequently used apps on it for quick "1 click" access as you mentioned...the rest, i just hit the windows key which opens the dash search, type a few letters and there is what i am looking for...

Attractive, intuitive and SIMPLE to use

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Big +1...that is what i have been saying here for a long time (lol)!

Drives me crazy when they say it's only for a tablet...it's just a dock for pete sake...
    I do make my unity dock a bit smaller (38 pixels) because i like the way it looks that way...and i add my favorites and frequently used apps on it for quick "1 click" access as you mentioned...the rest, i just hit the windows key which opens the dash search, type a few letters and there is what i am looking for...

Attractive, intuitive and SIMPLE to use
    I liked Unity no issues.

My only wish was that the Dock was more customizable without adding Unity Tweak Tool & all. That is what has been my experience with anything Linux, that most of the things have been very customizable, wish Unity came with that(customization feature).

E.g. where to put the dock? why keep it at left only? I want mine at the good ol' bottom! Wish that could be done ! & I also like a good old application launcher, not a fan of searching things out of Dash ( for Unity as well as Gnome3, where I add a application launcher extension, which I believe can't be done on Unity)

Now that I found Ubuntu Gnome, I dont need it anyhow! Gnome3 is good for me.
    Last edited by su:bhatta; September 19th, 2013 at 12:07 PM.
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    Not sure why you emphasize on "doing one thing at a time". I routinely doing many things at a time on Unity. I have enabled scale and edge flip in ccsm to pick applications aand switch desktop, I think that is immensely helpful for multi-tasking. I also enable the shift switcher to pick applications on current desktop while I use scale to pick applications on all desktops (I prefere shift switcher to alt-tab)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bhattabhishek View Post

I also like a good old application launcher, not a fan of searching things out of Dash ( for Unity as well as Gnome3, where I add a application launcher extension, which I believe can't be done on Unity)

I seldom have to really "search" for anything after the first couple of sessions because the dash remembers the applications you have used. To find something press the super key and it is like having all the launchers on the desktop(which Windows users try to achieve by actually littering their desktops with launchers icons), if you want something else usually it would find it if you just type in the first couple the letters, like gp or just g would bring up gparted (and gimp if you just type g) It is much faster than going through menus. Gnome shell is nice but the dash doesn't search files as far as I know (there may be an extension that does)
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; September 19th, 2013 at 07:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, MonkeyBrain20122: I didn't want to/need to start any comparison between the different DE's out there. Just as the Thread mentioned 'how do you feel about the WM' and I mentioned my take on it....

Thats all....
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Until there is a official way to move the Unity bar at the bottom i will never use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by HansKisaragi View Post
    Until there is a official way to move the Unity bar at the bottom i will never use.
    Until you get a wide-screen monitor...

On my wide screen, having the bar at the top or bottom would be ridiculous. At the left or right it's just perfect.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast