Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

Perhaps there's something wrong with me because I liked the Unity interface almost right away. I still like it, except for the bugs or problems in it (which I hope are fixed in newer versions): The inconsistency from one day to the next of how to move between different files in the same program, and the difficulties of accessing an application window that's open but that has become hidden (not available with ALT-Tab).
    - Ubuntu 16.04 on 2016 System76 desktop + Ubuntu 18.04 on 2016 Dell Latitude laptop -

Beans

My "hate" has cooled down because I stopped using vanilla Ubuntu after Unity. I've been using Mint and Xubuntu ever since.

I think I would probably like Unity if using it on a tablet, but on a desktop I want all the freedom and customisation I had with Gnome 2.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've officially switched. I like Shell - I really do. But it's just not the complete package that Unity is, not remotely as efficient in action, and not as prompt at getting bugs fixed (which is saying something). And there's not a single change in 3.6 I like.

I'll miss useful workspaces, but I'm getting to feel that Unity will have functioning workspaces before Gnome sorts their panel hiding with full screen windows. And certainly before they figure out what they're doing with the notification area. (In retrospect, the fact that they actually managed to make notifications more inconsistent than in Gnome 2 should have been a signal.)
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; December 8th, 2012 at 02:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I used to dislike the Ubuntu Unity desktop environment with a passion, but then I decided to purchase Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64 bit Upgrade for $39.99 USD.

I have had a change of my old habits.

I like the new Ubuntu Unity desktop environment quite a bit. It's my most strongly preferred desktop environment for any GNU/Linux distribution and I am glad that Canonical has shipped it with Ubuntu. It's clean, elegant, modern, and simple. It's packed with features galore and I can add more features to it quite easily. I just added a bunch of Ubuntu Unity Dash lenses to expand my search capabilities. I also added Ubuntu Tweak to customize the Ubuntu Unity desktop environment to meet my exact needs. Now, everything looks beautiful and it's very unique. That's one of the distinguishing features about Ubuntu Unity: it's very unique. I like it a lot now. It's stable, fast, and features rich.

I also like Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64 bit quite a bit and I am looking forward to Microsoft Windows Blue sometime in the second quarter of 2013. It's modern, cool, and features rich too. It's fast as lightning too.

Out with the old and in with the new for me. I am a modern PC user now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unity is still bad:
    • No workspace separation on the launcher
    • No way to minimize windows with single click on launcher
    • getting more and more commercial

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bazon View Post
    Unity is still bad:
    • No workspace separation on the launcher
    • No way to minimize windows with single click on launcher
    • getting more and more commercial
    • I read somewhere that workspace separation is being addressed with the next release, an indication on the launcher indicator?
    • As there are minimize buttons on the individual windows, minimize via the launcher icon is duplicating a function.
      I think minimizing via the launcher is just a habit of people because it is what they are used to, not necessarily needed. But then I have always minimized via window buttons so it's not a habit I needed to break.
    • And will continue to get more and more commercial. Partially for the users benefit but make no doubts about it, ubuntu is very much part of a larger business plan.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by x-shaney-x View Post
    • As there are minimize buttons on the individual windows, minimize via the launcher icon is duplicating a function.
      I think minimizing via the launcher is just a habit of people because it is what they are used to, not necessarily needed. But then I have always minimized via window buttons so it's not a habit I needed to break.
    Ah, but as the idea of Unity based on speed and function, its much faster and just plain smarter to allow clicking on launcher to minimize an app. It is Afterall a taskbar- not just a launcher.
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I loved Unity right from the start.

Unity is so quick compared to the old menu-driven interface that I don't miss the old style at all (and the menu is still there in the Dash for the few occasions that you might need it).

I'm not one of those that likes to customise endlessly. If the interface works well, just a few colour tweaks are all I need.

It is only the odd bug in 12.04 that I find frustrating, but that's nothing whatsoever to do with the design of the interface.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Bazon, the minimize-from-taskbar bit has been beat to death. Personally, in addition to the simple objection that it's counter-intuitive and a Windows legacy feature, I'm one of the people who find it far too easy to trigger by accident, which is very irritating, so I'm fairly entrenched on this, too. But it's also totally inconsequential; it's minimizing, after all - not a feature that actually does anything and certainly not, IMO, worth sacrificing consistency for.

Unity's workspace switching makes little sense. I really don't know what it's for. It's slightly better than Compiz by itself, though, especially now that one click selects the workspace. The taskbar button is nonsense, and I wish it could be disabled - I just ignore it and use a hotcorner.

Commercial is good. I like that it's an OS someone feels is worth maintaining.
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; December 9th, 2012 at 05:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

At first I wasn't crazy about it,but now I like it.I tried a few other WMs,but kept coming back,so I'll stick with Unity.

It's fast,efficient and cool and it's different.I love how with Dash I can see what programs I have installed,find one and start it.I can pin programs to the Launcher and the list goes on!
    Last edited by itpro007ca; December 9th, 2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: addition

Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast