Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

Beans

Re: Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

Honestly I don't mind it but...I do miss the older simpler feel. All change requires a little bit of getting used to I guess.

Definitely curious about this buzz on the Cinamon desktop though...I might have to check that out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I feel the same way I do about it that I do about Windows vs. Linux, my mountain bike vs. my road bike or my convertible vs. my sedan. They are all tools for jobs. If it doesn't work for me, I change. In the case of Unity, it's just too easy to install Gnome shell or download xubuntu or lubuntu. In my opinion, it isn't worth any hate; it is only worth a trial and then a decision to keep it or change it.

On various computers here, I have and use both Unity and Gnome.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

+1 chili555 like mentioned the tools required to get the job done.

Was Ubuntu back mid 2006 for about a year or a tad more. But back then couldn't find the tools for high end Image & Video editing. So was forced back to Windows and doing the Win7 thing and got curious again about Ubuntu.

Tried the 12.10 and just hated the whole Unity thing. For me it isn't my kind of tool simple as that. For other's a great tool to get the job done. And happy they are loving it for them.

No hate here just ubuntu took a direction that isn't for me. And moved on.

Started looking and fell in love with Mint 14 "Nadia" cinnamon. And was the right tool for me. And still can keep connected with the great Ubuntu people as we are the same family. And now with RawTherapee and darktable makes for some interesting testing for my photography works and maybe finally be adopted by a Linux family forever

Some of us still like twinkies!...Some of us prefer Ding-Dongs!
    Last edited by orb9220; November 20th, 2012 at 09:58 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I got a new laptop a while ago and installed Ubuntu 12.04 with Unity. It looks tidy enough, I like the dash... but it seems to be slowing down. When I first got the laptop and put Ubuntu on it, the thing flew,esp in comparison to my previous box. But now it's starting to hang when I start a new app, open a new window etc. I dunno if it's down to Ubuntu attracting cruft or what. But there it is.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans

I have had Unity on a laptop since it appeared. It was acceptable on the laptop from day one and has only improved since then.

I also loaded it on my desktop after it's initial release but I had so many problems with it I had to move to Mint. However from the 12.10 release it now works fine - Compiz and other things crash every now and again but that is not a problem. Some of the difficulties were probably due to the Nvidia drivers.

I can see a few tweaks that would be useful :

1. It would be useful if a keypress could show the names of all the applications currently in the Launcher. I know you can move the mouse over each icon to see the names individually, but if it's possible to numerate the icons it surely must be possible to show all the application names at the same time.

2. The Dash Scope icons do not not have an associated text description, therefore I have no idea what some of them do. There needs to be some way of labelling them and better still, providing help text. I also think it would be better to have these icons at the top of the Dash display rather than at the bottom so they are more prominent.

3. I use the classic menu indicator to access software, especially applications I don't use very often. It's more convenient to look in an ordered list than remembering an application name. It would be much better if this application were a fixed item in the Launcher, just below the Dash.

4. In fact I think there is a general requirement for a "list browsing", "menu & sub-menu" type application for which the user can switch contexts.

5. Oh, and what happened to Wobbly Windows in 12.10 ?. I know it seems daft but an animated movement of windows is much more pleasant on the eye.

So, generally I find Unity is pretty good and effective.

Beans

I've gone back and forth on this. When I first tried 12.04, I didn't think Unity was ready for prime time -- and that's without having used any earlier version, since I stick with LTS releases. It was just too buggy.

But the improvement from 12.04 to 12.04.1 was pretty remarkable, and it's now what I use day to day (replacing Debian Stable/Gnome 2). I think that progress is even more remarkable when compared to Gnome Shell's, which is stable but a complete visual mess -- some applications have menubars (e.g. Evolution) and some have menu buttons (e.g. Nautilus, Epiphany/Web), some applications fullscreen on maximize (e.g. Epiphany) and some don't (e.g. Evolution) and actual Gnome-Shell elements look and behave differently from everything else, and occasionally add a second and different menu interface to applications (e.g. Web).

That's another way of saying that even though every GTK-dependent desktop is in transition right now, Unity does a nice job of making that look tidy; the Launcher/HUD/Dash do their own thing the same way Gnome-Shell does, but at least your application menus always work the same way.

Second, Unity is the best keyboard-centric interface I've used -- and that's one of the things that gets me confused when people talk about it (and Gnome Shell, for that matter) as an "imitation" tablet interface. Apart from everything that happens in the Dash, HUD exposes every menu item in every application to the keyboard. That's not exactly new, but it's finally done well -- that is, not through idiosyncratic shortcuts.

What really interests me, though, is what'll happen with all of Unity's underlying technologies and libraries. For instance, Unity's the only modern DE using Compiz (except maybe MATE) and I wonder how long that's sustainable.

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Actually, Zorin comes with Compiz (and its own window manager on top of that). Then there's Pantheon in Elementary, which is built on Clutter and GTK 3. There's frankly way too many things coming out, lately.

I'm personally looking forward to the E17 release, and whatever improvements Razor-Qt has in store in the next six months.

Beans

It looks so pretty and I want to like it I just can't get used to it. I use xfce and edit the menu to only include stuff i actually use and have synapse installed for quick launching stuff. Don't see the point having a giant dock pop up at unexpected intervals and waste screen space for not much benefit.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Unity (IMO I should stress) looks great, but is too heavy for my tastes and my current hardware(!) - i've already mentioned the 'feature' that turned me off it.
    ....So i thought i'd go for Xubuntu, but then i thought 'why not just use Ubu's Daddy?' so i installed Debian Wheezy/xfce, and quite frankly i haven't looked back. It's great, light, and above all stable (and Ad-free).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Bumping this topic to say that I'm really eating my own words against Unity right now. I've been booted into it for the past two days and loving it!

As it turns out, thanks to MyUnity, Gnome-Tweak, and Compiz Config, Unity is just as tweakable as I like, outside the panels. (Which I always left the arrangement of alone in Gnome 2 anyway, so the top panel's fine as-is for me.) Heck, I even got back the transparent windows shortcut I loved so much on Gnome 2 thanks to messing with the Opacity settings on Compiz! (If only the wobbly windows wouldn't lag on my hardware, I loved that feature too.) I rambled on about it here as to what I did to make Unity feel 100% usable with my mouse.

Granted, I'm still more comfortable playing certain games in XFCE, because it's a much lighter DE, so it doesn't freak out when going into fullscreen like Unity does. Otherwise for normal daily desktop usage and GIMP, I'm perfectly happy with Unity, shockingly. I would even say it's the kind of polished and alien desktop experience I was looking for all this time! It looks so nice just sitting there on a blank desktop even! Call me a fan, I've gone to the Dark Side now, haters.
    Last edited by LillyDragon; December 2nd, 2012 at 05:06 AM.

Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast