Thread: get_iplayer support questions allowed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

get_iplayer support questions allowed?

I'm having a problem with get_iplayer (an app that is available through default repositories - ie you can get it with command sudo apt-get install get-iplayer. Can I post a support question in the forums?
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: get_iplayer support questions allowed?

I don't see why you'd need to ask to ask a question... Ubuntu Forums tries to help with program-specific issues sometimes, as well as general Ubuntu issues.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Time View Post
    I don't see why you'd need to ask to ask a question... Ubuntu Forums tries to help with program-specific issues sometimes, as well as general Ubuntu issues.
    I assume he's asking due to the product's nature; as in, the same reason youtube video downloads aren't allowed to be discussed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

We are in fact discussing this at the moment.

One of us will be along again in due course.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sorry for the late reply

The BBC's terms state
    1.1 "BBC iPlayer" is a BBC Online Service made available by the BBC to enable you to access, view and/or listen to BBC Content or, if your device permits, download BBC Content either using the BBC iPlayer Download Application or directly from bbc.co.uk/iplayer.

1.2 "BBC iPlayer Download Application" is a BBC Online Service consisting of a BBC-authorised application (for instance, BBC iPlayer Desktop) which you may be able to install on your device to enable you to download BBC Content available on BBC iPlayer.
    At this time it is not clear whether get_iplayer is a BBC-authorised application or not.

As such we will support the installation and usage of get_iplayer in accordance with the BBC's terms which are for "users in the UK" to "access, download, view and/or listen to BBC Content as supplied to you by the BBC" until "the period of time, during which that particular BBC Content is available to you, has expired."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

get_iplayer tries to emulate the BBC's 30 day download expiry by reminding you that you should delete any such programme.
    It is rather academic as I could have recorded the programme directly from the TV and kept it permanently anyway.
    I guess that it keeps the rights holder happy, another copyright fail maybe.

As for support read the documentation here:
    http://linuxcentre.net/getiplayer/documentation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Oho! A reply!

Thanks for info. The particular question is moot now, but I know I can turn to the good ol' forums should it or another question raise its evil head.

Cheers!
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4