Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I install Skype to Lubuntu 12.10

Beans

Can I install Skype to Lubuntu 12.10

I have downloaded the live CD for Lubuntu 12.10 and I quite like it. However I'm reluctant to install it to my hard drive because I can't see Skype in the repository. How would I load Skype to the system after installation?

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Can I install Skype to Lubuntu 12.10

Yes. Skype is in the Canonical's partners repository. Open synaptic package manager (which is under System tools) then go to Settings > Repositories > Other Software and check the box for Canonical's partners. Reload synaptic and you will find it. Anyway, you can also download from Skype Both work.

Beans

Thanks for your prompt reply.
    When I go the Settings > repositories > other software route as recommended I see only the CD ROM listed, and ticked. Would this list have Canonical Partner's repository added if I installed the system to my hard drive?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

It would I think. If it wouldn't, we can add it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Delricko View Post
    I have downloaded the live CD for Lubuntu 12.10 and I quite like it. However I'm reluctant to install it to my hard drive because I can't see Skype in the repository. How would I load Skype to the system after installation?
    Hello and Welcome to Ubuntu Forum

Thanks for choosing and using Lubuntu, you will never regert that
    I'm one of Lubuntu Team members and I can confirm that you will find Skype and you will be able to download and install it after you are done with Lubuntu Installation so no worries.

Menu > System Tools > Synaptic Package Manager

From Synaptic

Settings > Repositories > Other Software - Please check the attached screenshot.

Once you click "Canonical Partners", click "Close" then on the main screen of Synaptic, click "Reload".

After that, just type Skype on the search box of Synaptic and hit Enter.
    You will find it right there sitting and waiting for you

Right Click on Skype and choose "Mark for installation".

Then, on the main screen of Synaptic, hit Apply.

After that, Skype will be under Menu > Internet > Skype.

Enjoy and if you need anything, please let me know

P.S.
    Please have a look at: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu
    and
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LubuntuLinks

Bookmark these two pages and you can get back to them whenever you need some help. If you couldn't find anything, please, come back here
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by amjjawad; October 29th, 2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Adding useful links

Beans

I see only the CD ROM listed
    after you install Lubuntu, you will have the repository option for Canonical Partners. right now you are only running from live cd.

Beans
    Distro

I was looking for this and I finally found it: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lu..._install_Skype

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

You can also go to Skype's website and download the .deb file. I believe Ubuntu does add some customization to their package, but probably nothing worth mentioning.

Beans

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice and warm welcome to Lubuntu.

Consequent to your collective reassurance I loaded Lubuntu to my hard drive and updated the package manager as recommended. The “download skype” option is now there. Thanks everyone.
    I will move forward on this as soon as I have a decent internet connection, but I’m already confident that all will be well.

As an aside, I have to say that I’m very pleased with Lubuntu so far, and I’m very impressed by this friendly and helpful forum.

Thanks again everyone, D

Beans
    Distro

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice and warm welcome to Lubuntu.

Consequent to your collective reassurance I loaded Lubuntu to my hard drive and updated the package manager as recommended. The “download skype” option is now there. Thanks everyone.
    I will move forward on this as soon as I have a decent internet connection, but I’m already confident that all will be well.

As an aside, I have to say that I’m very pleased with Lubuntu so far, and I’m very impressed by this friendly and helpful forum.

Thanks again everyone, D
    This is really great to know, I'm so confident that you will like Lubuntu even more and you will discover the real power behind it soon

Whatever you need, whenever you want, feel free to contact me if there is anything wrong with Lubuntu, even though I'm sure our team did a lot to make Lubuntu work out of the box with much less problems than other systems.

ALL the best and thanks again for choosing Lubuntu.
    Yet again, another happy user, WOW you made my day!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast