Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with HD 5870 driver installation

Beans

Problems with HD 5870 driver installation

Hi!

I installed Ubuntu 12.10 x64 on my desktop PC and now I have problems with my graphic card Radeon HD 5870.

I donwloaded the newest drive from the AMD site: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...2&lang=English

But I cannot install them because of the next error:

Supported adapter detected.
    Check if system has the tools required for installation.
    fglrx installation requires that the system have kernel headers. /lib/modules/3.5.0-17-generic/build/include/linux/version.h cannot be found on this system.
    One or more tools required for installation cannot be found on the system. Install the required tools before installing the fglrx driver.
    Optionally, run the installer with --force option to install without the tools.
    Forcing install will disable AMD hardware acceleration and may make your system unstable. Not recommended.
    Could someone please help me with the issue I have faced?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Problems with HD 5870 driver installation

I have the same problem with my amd 6970's.. Did you find any solution?

(edit: I'm currently running 12.10, not 10.10 as my sig claims..)
    Last edited by AVeryLongNickname; November 4th, 2012 at 04:56 PM.

Beans

Also having the problem with my HD6870. Just upgraded from 12.04 where I had catalyst control centre installed and working. Here is my full .log;
    Code:
    1. Supported adapter detected.
    2. Check if system has the tools required for installation.
    3. fglrx installation requires that the system have kernel headers.  /lib/modules/3.5.0-17-generic/build/include/linux/version.h cannot be found on this system.
    4. One or more tools required for installation cannot be found on the system. Install the required tools before installing the fglrx driver.
    5. Optionally, run the installer with --force option to install without the tools.
    6. Forcing install will disable AMD hardware acceleration and may make your system unstable. Not recommended.
    Thanks for any help!
    Cheers, Jack

Beans

I'm having this same issue with a Radeon HD 7850, exact same message and everything. I was able to get it to work earlier, however I am new and I keep screwing everything up.

Trying to install 12.11 catalyst on 12.10 ubuntu. Frustrating.
    EDIT: Yes I have the headers installed.

EDIT: I have also tried what is on this page. http://askubuntu.com/questions/15958...-source-driver

Supported adapter detected.
    Check if system has the tools required for installation.
    fglrx installation requires that the system have kernel headers. /lib/modules/3.5.0-17-generic/build/include/linux/version.h cannot be found on this system.
    One or more tools required for installation cannot be found on the system. Install the required tools before installing the fglrx driver.
    Optionally, run the installer with --force option to install without the tools.
    Forcing install will disable AMD hardware acceleration and may make your system unstable. Not recommended.
    Last edited by shouthouse; November 10th, 2012 at 03:30 AM.

Beans

Ok figured out what was going on. The install needs specific headers. So type this in and then you can install.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-3.5.0-17-generic
    But now I am having problems running that initial configuration... ala http://osadvices.com/how-to-install-...ntulinux-mint/

Every time I reset into ubuntu from that i get the error message
    The System is running in low-graphics mode

Your screen, graphics card, and input device settings could not be detected correctly. You will need to configure these yourself.
    Last edited by shouthouse; November 10th, 2012 at 03:51 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

AMD now officially wants you to use amdconfig rather than aticonfig.

Also, are you putting two dashes before "initial"?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Are you supposed to run the command before rebooting? It prompts for reboot but I don't know if I should.

Also, initial? In which line? I've ran so many tonight.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

After you install the driver and before rebooting,
    Code:
    sudo amdconfig --initial
    But if you can get to your desktop at all, you can run the command at any time and then reboot.

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans

Well since I am far too incredibly impatient for my own good, I have a whole new install up and running. I will report back!

I have read this can be a problem with having an intel motherboard and an amd gpu. IS this correct?
    Last edited by shouthouse; November 10th, 2012 at 04:54 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

That's not a problem, unless your CPU/board has Intel graphics, and then you are in for some work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast