Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I re-install Windows

Beans

How do I re-install Windows

I have several programs I need to use and they do not have Linux versions and there is nothing more I can try to get them to work on Ubuntu. I decided I had to re-install windows, but when I tried, it said it couldn't because the hard drive (2 partitions) is not the right format. What do I need to do to be able to install windows again?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: How do I re-install Windows

Windows has to have a primary (sda1 thru sda4) NTFS formated partition with the boot flag. Or unallocated space so it can create a primary NTFS partition.

Windows 7 will usually want 2 partitions the first is a small 100MB boot/repair partition. But if you have a preformatted partition it will totally install to that partition.

Either way you should then immediately make the Windows repairCD or USB so you have a way to repair Windows if you have issues.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

You can use an ubuntu install disk to repartition the hard drive. Once the ubuntu live image is booted, search for GParted or Partition Editor. Back up your data first!
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Airycat View Post
    I have several programs I need to use and they do not have Linux versions and there is nothing more I can try to get them to work on Ubuntu. I decided I had to re-install windows, but when I tried, it said it couldn't because the hard drive (2 partitions) is not the right format. What do I need to do to be able to install windows again?
    Are you trying to do a clean reinstall from Windows CD/DVD? Or, are you trying to do a restore from a Recovery partition?

Asking because the clean reinstall should give the the option to reformat the drive -- in which case, it won't care about the format of the existing partitions.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Are you trying to do a clean reinstall from Windows CD/DVD? Or, are you trying to do a restore from a Recovery partition?

Asking because the clean reinstall should give the the option to reformat the drive -- in which case, it won't care about the format of the existing partitions.
    There is a reason I'm asking about this in the Absolute Beginners Section.

I want to do a clean install. I want to put Windows 7 back and install Ubuntu as WUBI because I have about 4 programs that will not work with Linux and I've been trying everything for the last 9 months.

I put the disk in and selected the CD/DVD drive and it uploaded files and then I got the problem with not being formatted correctly. Now I don't even have the CD/DVD drive option. (It's disabled for some reason I don't know.) I don't remember an option to reformat, but that's not saying it wasn't there.

So a really basic question: How do I get the computer to run the CD for a clean install?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Try a full power down or cold boot. If a laptop remove battery for a bit.

Then go into BIOS or use one time boot key to choose CD/DVD to boot.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

There is a reason I'm asking about this in the Absolute Beginners Section.

I want to do a clean install. I want to put Windows 7 back and install Ubuntu as WUBI because I have about 4 programs that will not work with Linux and I've been trying everything for the last 9 months.

I put the disk in and selected the CD/DVD drive and it uploaded files and then I got the problem with not being formatted correctly. Now I don't even have the CD/DVD drive option. (It's disabled for some reason I don't know.) I don't remember an option to reformat, but that's not saying it wasn't there.

So a really basic question: How do I get the computer to run the CD for a clean install?
    You can do a dual-boot so you can have both but would save you from using wubi.
    To answer your really basic question go into your BIOS and change the boot the order.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

I put the disk in and selected the CD/DVD drive and it uploaded files and then I got the problem with not being formatted correctly. ..
    My suspicion is that this is NOT a Windows setup disk, but instead, a Windows Recovery disk.

If the version of Windows is 7, and this is really a CD, not a DVD, then my suspicion is correct -- and you are out of luck -- because you can't reinstall Windows using that disk if you have messed with the partitions on your PC -- which it sounds like you have.

You will need a Windows SETUP DVD -- and it is a DVD, not a CD. When you launch that, it should give you the option of erasing the partitions currently on the drive.

If even that doesn't work, then boot your PC from an Ubuntu LiveCD or LiveUSB and use the GParted app to remove all the partitions on the drive. Then, reboot with the Windows Setup DVD.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

1.) After a lot of clicking, I finally was able to get to a place where I had the option to format, but I didn't really have it. It's nonfunctional.

DSC07775a by Airycat, on Flickr

I suspect that the only way to get Windows back is to delete, but I didn't want to do that without verifying that it's the right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    it should give you the option of erasing the partitions currently on the drive.
    Is this a yes answer? Is an "Ubuntu LiveCD" running Ubuntu from the CD rather than from be hard drive? (I am using the reinstallation DVD.)

2.) How do I dual boot? I thought wubi was the only way to have both, but I would not mind not turning on Windows if I don't need those Windows specific programs.

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you have a fairly modern system (post the specs back and we can see), if you have only 4 programs you need Windows for, why not leave ubuntu on the system and use something like VirtualBox to run Windows in a virtual machine with linux. That way your Windows programs are always available and you still get to run linux.

As Mark has mentioned, the biggest thing is if you have a recovery CD or an installation CD as you'd need the installation CD to install Windows in the virtual machine.

I run both Windows XP and Windows 7 in virtual machines in Ubuntu, but also have dual-boot for Windows 7 as well.

my specs: 8-core AMD @ 3.1ghz, 16gb memory, 1.5tb sata hard drive, 60gb sata ssd, nVidia GeForce GS 450, the usual things like wireless, card reader, DVD-DL R/W, etc.. I'm lucky in that I can dedicate more than 1 cpu to each virtual machine as well as memory and still have plenty left for ubuntu to run also.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast