Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Virtual Box (I need basic help with this)

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Virtual Box (I need basic help with this)

+1 for installing Windows 7 in the VM, 64-bit *if* (1) your system is a 64-bit system (2) your version of Windows 7 is 64-bit.

After you get an OS installed and load in Dragon, I would imagine you have a USB microphone (like the little headset they used to include with Dragon). If so, you need to enable the USB device in the settings for the VM.

It's also possible the version of VirtualBox you have does not have USB support. I just download the version from Oracle's site as well as the add-on there.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by squakie View Post
    +1 for installing Windows 7 in the VM, 64-bit *if* (1) your system is a 64-bit system (2) your version of Windows 7 is 64-bit.

After you get an OS installed and load in Dragon, I would imagine you have a USB microphone (like the little headset they used to include with Dragon). If so, you need to enable the USB device in the settings for the VM.

It's also possible the version of VirtualBox you have does not have USB support. I just download the version from Oracle's site as well as the add-on there.
    I have the 64 bit Ubuntu 12.10. I added VirtualBox from the Software Center. I added Windows 7 using the recommended nsettings. When I click on it I get the following message

Screenshot from 2012-11-01 15:13:14 by Airycat, on Flickr

I don't know how to do what it is saying.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

it says:
    - install dkms if you havent already
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install dkms
    - run
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Beans

It means you need to recompile virtualbox to be in agreement with your kernel. This message is very common whenever the Linux kernel is updated (seems like every 2 or 3 weeks now ) through the normal software updates that come in regularly. After the kernel is updated, Virtualbox always has to be recompiled. Completely normal.

Close out the Virtualbox window and Windows 7 ( or whatever you may be running under virtualbox ), then open a terminal.

put this in the terminal
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    It will ask you for your password.
    It will run and might say something like "can't find dmk..something or other" and it will continue.
    Takes a few minutes.

Then run virtualbox again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by s1baker View Post
    It will ask you for your password.
    It says "No such file or directory"

Putting in previously mentioned code requests my password, but it is not accepting it. I know what my password is. When I go to the boot/setup section (BIOS Security Features, I think) it said there is not password and I can't do anything, but I have to put in my password when I turn on Ubuntu. I have no problem with that except that since I upgraded, I have to turn off the numbers lock even though it has numbers in it.

Screenshot from 2012-11-01 19:47:51 by Airycat, on Flickr

My frustration level with this is currently about 250%.

This message was under the other one for the Virtualbox.

Screenshot from 2012-11-01 19:41:58 by Airycat, on Flickr

Beans

First of all about your most recent post;
    You have to enter your ubuntu password in the terminal instead of the password used for entering computer's BIOS setup utility.

If you remember your password correctly which i guess you do, and still the terminal is not accepting it then check a couple of things before getting frustrated.
    Is CAPS lock on while you are entering the password?
    If there are numbers in the password, are you entering these correctly. may be the numlock is off while you are entering the numbers.

Now after you resolve your password issue, for the virtualbox problem i suggest to undo everything and start with fresh virtualbox install.
    first remove old installation of virtualbox. I assume you installed it from ubuntu software center so uninstall it from there.

After that open a terminal and install install dkms if you have not already installed it.

After that install virtualbox-4.2
    sudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.2

Add yourself to vboxusers group. replace <your_login_id> with your actual login id.
    sudo adduser <your_login_id> vboxusers

Logout ubuntu and then login again

Then go to virtualbox website and download virtualbox extension pack v4.2.x

Finally start virtualbox and from menu select File > Preferences. Find settings for Extensions in the list and there install your downloaded extension pack.

Also on the General tab set a feasible location for where you will create your new virtual machine. For windows 7 you will be needing atleast 30 GB so make sure the partition you select has that much space. I personally recommend a dedicated partition for that purpose if you intend to use the virtual machine for long time.

Now you are all set for creating a new virtual machine.

Ah! by the way allocate 1GB or more RAM for win7
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

sorry, my bad.
    I meant:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pkadeel View Post

After that open a terminal and install install dkms if you have not already installed it.

After that install virtualbox-4.2

I get stuck here. What next?

Screenshot from 2012-11-06 16:29:18 by Airycat, on Flickr

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

do you use open source version available in default repos or the one from oracle with proprietary extensions? Remove the one you have and install again.

Code:
    apt-cache search virtualbox
    should return a list of packages that are in repos. Do you see anything Oracle?

In case you don't have any and use ose version, consider installing oracle one by following the procedure described here:
    https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads, under Debian based distributions
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Airycat View Post
    I get stuck here. What next?
    Ok i guess the repository for virtualbox is not present in your sources list.
    Open terminal and do as follows;
    Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    depending on you ubuntu version (i.e. precise, oneiric etc) append following line to the file openned replacing the ubuntu version with proper one. for further detail refer to
    https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
    Code:
    deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian precise contrib
    save and close the file. now back in terminal
    Code:
    wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
    sudo apt-get update
    I hope you shall be able to install it now without any problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12