Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Virtualbox doesn't capture my mouse.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question Virtualbox doesn't capture my mouse.

Hello,

I just installed virtualbox and am now installing windows on it. However, when I click the host button (right Ctrl) it says it captured the mouse (shows green arrow icon) but it actually isn't. I still see two mouse pointers and the one in the windows installation doesn't move at all..

Does anybody know a solution to this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Virtualbox doesn't capture my mouse.

If you click inside your virtualbox, it should "take" your mouse.

Hitting rt ctrl releases your mouse to your Ubuntu again.

I think this is what you are looking for.
    For a custom Google Search Engine providing results from Ubuntu related sites click Here

When your problem is resolved, please mark it SOLVED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

+1 I find just clicking in the VM is the easiest way to get my mouse in there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yeah I tried that as well. When I click however, I first get the message saying it will be captured, after which I click "capture". But nothing happens. I see the green arrow icon in the right bottom corner, but I also still see two mouse pointers and the one in MS windows is not moving. I am by now logged into windows, but can't use it..

Arent there any settings or something in which this needs to be set? I am using compiz in normal ubuntu installation. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Any other ideas that might help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hmm, od, it should just capture your mouse when you click inside the VM. Try disabling compiz and see if it persists...I doubt compiz would affect it, but it can't hurt to try

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Odd... I went to go use virtualbox today, and though I've never had any issues in the past with it, it's suddenly doing exactly what the OP stated.
    Programming is an art. Learn it. Live it. Love it.

Beans

This is a known problem with VirtualBox (at least in version 1.6.4 and the OSE versions). I haven't been able to find an answer - so far just others reporting the same issue on the VirtualBox forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have had the same problem with every version of virtualbox since version 1.5.4 Version 1.5.4 works fine. Never tried the 1.6.4, but versions 1.5.6 and 1.6.0 wouldn't work for me. I just stick with 1.5.4 and everything is fine.
    Windows is the best virus detector on the market!
    Ubuntu attracts Human Beings - Windows attracts viruses and worms

Beans

I found the solution and thought I would post it here for others to see.

Briefly, what worked for me is to go ahead and install XP even though I was unable to use the mouse. I found it was possible to complete all of the installation steps using the Tab and cursor arrow keys.

Once XP was installed, I could run XP and use the Devices toolbar menu to install the Virtual Box Guest Additions. This involves two steps: first mount the Guest Additions .iso file from the Device menu. And then choose the option on the Device menu to install the Guest Additions. When you're done, shut down XP, log out and back in, and you'll be able to use the cursor in the VirtualBox window normally - when you move the cursor into the window you can use the mouse to work with Windows XP as expected.

It's a good idea to consult the VirtualBox manual while completing these steps - especially the part about being sure you have the proper software installed that VirtualBox needs - sorry, I forget what they're called, something like SDK and DKMS?? (I'm running Windows this morning and don't have access to the manual.) This is a simple process that you do in a terminal - the steps are described at the top of the section in the manual on installing the VB Guest Additions.

Beans

Thanks for the how to. Works great. However, in doing this I stumbled across a way to fix this. When you click in VBox and the capture dialog comes up it also gives you an option to "not show this message again" - check this, press capture and the mouse should now work. At least it did for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast