Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need a good xp emulator

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

need a good xp emulator

i need a good Windows XP emulator that can fool the Zune software into working because i really don't want to swap my beloved Zune for something else.

anyone got any ideas about how to do this or better yet, how to run the Zune software on Linux?

I have Linux 12.04 by the way.

Re: need a good xp emulator

Virtualbox+Windows XP installed.
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

+1 to Habitual

Goto your Software Manager and search for virtualbox and install it.

Then run it and click *new* and follow the steps.

It will ask you things like the following:

Which Operating System? Just pick from the drop down box Windows & Windows XP

How much RAM? I suggest 512 to 1024. Remember this takes away from your normal RAM so don't over due it or it might bog your system down. I mostly use mine for running netflix, but have 4 gigs and dedicate a full 1024mb to my VM.

Create Virtual DiskHere you can accept the default type and then you get to pick Dynamic or Fixed. Dynamic means it only takes up as much space as it has to have and you set a Maximum of how large the virtual disk can get (again this is taking space form your normal harddrive and DYNAMIC is great for smaller hard drives) Or you can pick Fixed and make a set size of the harddrive (this is slightly faster and better if you have plenty of space to spare.)

Additiona options Once your done before you start your machine i suggest you right click your virtual machine and goto settings. Here you can goto DISPLAY and turn on 2d & 3d accleration and increase the virtual video card memory up to 128mb. Now this is virtual not REAL graphics card memory, this is just to fool applications to let you install and run applications with a video requirement. so if you start installing games you won't get too far.

ProcessorYou can also designate how many of your processors are allowed to power the PC. i have a 3.01ghz quad core and only use 1 and it runs great. Now close out

Last StepNow start your machine, it will prompt you to pick either the drive your install cd is in or to navigate to the location of your ISO to install windows xp or what ever OS your wanting.

Guest Addons to get some better support and allow better mouse intergration once you finishing installing with the VM open and running, click settings on the VM window and click "install guest addons".

Now once you boot up you have windows. You can right click the virtual machine on the manager and make a shortcut to your desktop if you want.

Now the issue here is WINXP is a licensed software. So your options are reinstall it every 30 days and keep using the trial, or have a License key. There may be other options, but they won't be discussed on this forum.

Good Luck

I run Netflix on mine mostly and it has the follow specs and runs really fast.

Processor: 1 cpu 3.01 ghz
    Ram: 1024
    Virtual Harddisk: Dynamic 50gig
    Dual Booting 11.04 64bit Ubuntu & Windows 7 64bit

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by c911darkwolf View Post
    +1 to Habitual

Goto your Software Manager and search for virtualbox and install it.

Then run it and click *new* and follow the steps.

It will ask you things like the following:

Which Operating System? Just pick from the drop down box Windows & Windows XP

How much RAM? I suggest 512 to 1024. Remember this takes away from your normal RAM so don't over due it or it might bog your system down. I mostly use mine for running netflix, but have 4 gigs and dedicate a full 1024mb to my VM.

Create Virtual DiskHere you can accept the default type and then you get to pick Dynamic or Fixed. Dynamic means it only takes up as much space as it has to have and you set a Maximum of how large the virtual disk can get (again this is taking space form your normal harddrive and DYNAMIC is great for smaller hard drives) Or you can pick Fixed and make a set size of the harddrive (this is slightly faster and better if you have plenty of space to spare.)

Additiona options Once your done before you start your machine i suggest you right click your virtual machine and goto settings. Here you can goto DISPLAY and turn on 2d & 3d accleration and increase the virtual video card memory up to 128mb. Now this is virtual not REAL graphics card memory, this is just to fool applications to let you install and run applications with a video requirement. so if you start installing games you won't get too far.

ProcessorYou can also designate how many of your processors are allowed to power the PC. i have a 3.01ghz quad core and only use 1 and it runs great. Now close out

Last StepNow start your machine, it will prompt you to pick either the drive your install cd is in or to navigate to the location of your ISO to install windows xp or what ever OS your wanting.

Guest Addons to get some better support and allow better mouse intergration once you finishing installing with the VM open and running, click settings on the VM window and click "install guest addons".

Now once you boot up you have windows. You can right click the virtual machine on the manager and make a shortcut to your desktop if you want.

Now the issue here is WINXP is a licensed software. So your options are reinstall it every 30 days and keep using the trial, or have a License key. There may be other options, but they won't be discussed on this forum.

Good Luck

I run Netflix on mine mostly and it has the follow specs and runs really fast.

Processor: 1 cpu 3.01 ghz
    Ram: 1024
    Virtual Harddisk: Dynamic 50gig
    that sounds alot like dual booting with Windows XP.
    what is the difference other than the fact that you are running it on top of Linux instead of being able to choose between Windows and Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro

It is very similar:

The only CON to using a VM is the video card issue. You can't do anything that requires a gaming card like Deadspace 2/stracraft 2/ Intensive Video editing/ ect..

You can play movies/netflix/flash games/ect..

The reason i use a VM instead of dual booting is that fact that i can alt tab between my VM WinXP & my Linux OS easily.

Also if i'm running something very large (compiling, major install, ect..) that is gonna take a while i can leave my linux working and alt tab over to my VM machine which works like normal because the resources it's using are dedicated to it.

So basically when i'm programming i can compile a large file and alt tab over and watch Fullmetal Alchemist without my computer freezing/locking up.

Think if your in Zune and you want to do something that is only WinXP... would you rather reboot your pc, do this one thing and then reboot again to reload Zune?

Or would you prefer to click a link and a windows box pop up and you can do your thing while zune hums away in the background.

Virtual Machines also allow you to test run some of the many MANY flavors of linux without commiting to one.

Beans
    Distro

Another interesting feature.

You can share your virtual machine on your local network...

I.e.... My wife & I both use linux Distro's and I have a dedicated PC that runs Virtual Machines. My wife can connect over and pick/drop files off the virtual machine and so Can I.

I did find this link to run Zune on Ubuntu using WINE program.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7317935_use-zune-ubuntu.html

PLEASE BACKUP your data before you test something... You never know how it will work

Beans
    Distro

thanks for all the info on this!!

i got it all set up except for one thing. where would i get a .iso of Windows xp?
    i really don't want to torrent(ie: www.thepriatebay.se) a copy simply because i don't know if its been changed or altered to "nuke" the network its connected to or something like that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You have to purchase a physical CD (if you can still find one for sale anywhere).
    Cheesemill

Beans

If you have a valid license key for Windows XP but no disc, you should be able to find a reputable source for the MD5/SHA1 hash of the ISO. You could then have some confidence in verifying the authenticity of any XP ISO you download off of the internet.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainLinux View Post
    If you have a valid license key for Windows XP but no disc, you should be able to find a reputable source for the MD5/SHA1 hash of the ISO. You could then have some confidence in verifying the authenticity of any XP ISO you download off of the internet.
    gonna work on getting a copy of xp (hoping for a licence key) and try it out as soon as i can.

wish me luck!!!
    insanity: because its more fun the 9001st time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast