Thread: Issue with fonts and typing

Beans

Question Issue with fonts and typing

Hey,

I think I'm experiencing some trouble with the fonts and typing.

When I installed this 64-bit version of Ubuntu a prompt popped up saying that I, for some strange reason, did not accept the licence agreement concerning some kind of font software and now I have the feeling that my computer doesn't show all fonts.

Second I can type letters like é (copied from a page). Instead of that the ' pops up immediately after pressing the key. The same is for " and ~ etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Issue with fonts and typing

Which font are you having trouble with? The Ubuntu font or is it a microsoft font?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mag1strate View Post
    Which font are you having trouble with? The Ubuntu font or is it a microsoft font?
    Probably Microsoft.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Did you specifically install a microsoft font? If so, which one?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mag1strate View Post
    Did you specifically install a microsoft font? If so, which one?
    I haven't installed any software related to fonts. The prompt simply popped up after surfing the web a few minutes after I installed Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

When we install Ubuntu we get a dialog that gives us the option to install third party software. That software includes Microsoft's core fonts. We are asked to accept the end user license. If we do not accept those terms and conditions then the Microsoft core fonts will not be installed.

This no hardship as there are very good equivalent open source fonts available as part of the default installation.

If you need those fonts then search the Ubuntu Software Centre for mscorefonts and you can install a utility that will automatically download each of those fonts and install them for you. You will need to accept the End User license otherwise the download will stop.

As regards the second issue, that is to do with your keyboard layout. Go to System Settings>Keyboard layouts and add a layout that is a better fit for your keyboard. You did get as part of the Ubuntu installation process an opportunity to select and test a keyboard layout.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; October 29th, 2012 at 06:02 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Hey, thanks a lot. That should do the trick. And about my keyboard layout: that is fine since I selected US with the Euro on the 5 which is my keyboard, but I'll check out some other layouts.

Beans

The keyboard issue is fixed. The only thing remaining is that some fonts are displayed differently than they are displayed using Windows even with the font package installed. I don't see this as a real problem and I think it may be caused simply because these fonts aren't included in the MS font package.