Thread: How much swap is installed by default on Lubuntu?

Beans

How much swap is installed by default on Lubuntu?

Thread title says it all.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How much swap is installed by default on Lubuntu?

If you let the installer partition your disk automatically I think it will make a swap partition equal to your ram.

I may be wrong about that as I always manually partition when installing, and make a separate /home partition. I recommend you do the same, if you're prepared to try, as it makes it much simpler if you ever need to reinstall, which when I first started using Ubuntu in 2005, was something I did a few times having messed up the system trying things out which I ought not to have done.

Actually, it made me learn a lot quicker when I made those mistakes, so perhaps it is not something to fear too much. Just make sure you have good backups of all your personal files in /home.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

TenPlus1 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Post Re: How much swap is installed by default on Lubuntu?

As far as I'm aware this depends on how much physical memory you have installed on your computer... Generally enough for a laptop to hybernate to the swap file plus a little extra... Although if you have 2gb or more of memory I tend to disable swap completely...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    If you let the installer partition your disk automatically I think it will make a swap partition equal to your ram.

I may be wrong about that as I always manually partition when installing, and make a separate /home partition. I recommend you do the same, if you're prepared to try, as it makes it much simpler if you ever need to reinstall, which when I first started using Ubuntu in 2005, was something I did a few times having messed up the system trying things out which I ought not to have done.

Actually, it made me learn a lot quicker when I made those mistakes, so perhaps it is not something to fear too much. Just make sure you have good backups of all your personal files in /home.
    I'll have a backup of my files, but I think I'll just let the installer do its thing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by TenPlus1 View Post
    As far as I'm aware this depends on how much physical memory you have installed on your computer... Generally enough for a laptop to hybernate to the swap file plus a little extra... Although if you have 2gb or more of memory I tend to disable swap completely...
    Or, if you don't hibernate (suspend to disk) but are short on RAM, you can create a swap file rather than a swap partition. For someone limited to 4 partitions and dual booting with Windows, this can be useful.