Thread: 12.10 rhythmbox vorbis encoder problem

Beans

12.10 rhythmbox vorbis encoder problem

Hi everyone I'm using 12.10 and I have a problem with rhythmbox it is asking for vorbis encoder?? Can anyone help please confused dsos30

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: 12.10 rhythmbox vorbis encoder problem

I had the same problem and tried installing everything with Vorbis in it's name. It seems this package is needed to convert files to the Vorbis format for ripping CD's.

I worked around this by going to Edit>Preferences and clicking on the Music tab. The Preferred Format is set to Ogg Vorbis and below is a button "Install additional software required to use this format". I clicked the down arrow next to this option and selected MPEG 4 Audio and it worked perfectly. FLAC is also an option which would have been better being Free Lossless Audio Codec.

Sourceforge states "FLAC stands out as the fastest and most widely supported lossless audio codec, and the only one that at once is non-proprietary, is unencumbered by patents, has an open-source reference implementation, has a well documented format and API, and has several other independent implementations."

I hope this assists you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dsos30 View Post
    Hi everyone I'm using 12.10 and I have a problem with rhythmbox it is asking for vorbis encoder?? Can anyone help please confused dsos30
    by going to Edit>Preferences and clicking on the Music tab. The Preferred Format is set to Ogg Vorbis and below is a button "Install additional software required to use this format".

The "Install additional software required to use this format" message seen for vorbis encoding is a bug. All needed libraries are installed by default, as is vorbis encoding in RB. (if you went ahead it would have used the 'ubuntu default'

To get the message to disappear you have to pick ' Custom Setting" & set a quality value, then close & open RB
    (Default is gnome default of 3
    Ubuntu is a quality of 6
    or you can set as desired, higher the better quality
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

It worked for me
    Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Has anyone reported this bug?

Beans

It might be this one:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1084843

The same happens if you select mp3 encoding.

Beans

Thanks. This worked. Quality of 0,9 give 6.6 MB for song and Quality of 0,6 gave 4.7 MB