Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Install issues 12.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Install issues 12.04

If both systems are on sdb, it does not matter on boot loaders as much. Both will depend on sdb as even if grub is booting from the MBR of sda, it still has to find the rest of its files on sdb.

But Boot-Repair should let you install a Windows like boot loader to sdb, or you can use a Windows repairCD which you should have to fixMBR.

How to restore the Ubuntu/XP/Vista/7 bootloader (Updated for Ubuntu 9.10 - grub2) - talsemgeest
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ta/7Bootloader

Or from Ubuntu you can just install lilo to sdb. Lilo works like Windows in it has more boot code in the partition boot sector and chain loads to the partition with the boot flag. Lilo is better than Windows in that it will boot a logical partition. But you do not want the full lilo, just the MBR boot loader.

Restore basic windows boot loader - universe enabled if error on lilo not found
    Simply open Synaptic and Settings > Repositories and tick the box against the Universe repo in the Ubuntu Software tab. Close that window and click on reload before installing lilo with Synaptic or command line.
    sudo apt-get install lilo
    sudo lilo -M /dev/sdb mbr
    May show error messages about the rest of lilo missing, ignore, we just want MBR with bootloader.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Install issues 12.04

Well I am about ready to mark the thread solved but I have a couple questions. I was able to get the thing booting in ahci instead of raid but the problem turned out was it must have been installed in raid mode so I had to turn the windows 7 ahci drivers on with a microsoft fixit. My ubuntu system running 12.04 did not recognize the command dmraid for the meta data removal from the presence thread... Is that obtained thru adding a package to the system?
    Now basically after reviewing the link on multiboot systems can you see from my post if my windows 7 system depends on the xp install's PBR? So if sda tanks things are not good.

Kevin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234