Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Are there any FTP servers at all for linux?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Beans
    856

    Are there any FTP servers at all for linux?

    Hello.
    I have been googeling this forever, and can only find crappy terminal and configuration stuff, and not an actual program.

    I need to transfer larger files and was thinking of ftp.
    And i don't care if the program is free or open or closed or whatever it is.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Maine
    Beans
    1,432
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Are there any FTP servers at all for linux?

    Quote Originally Posted by colobix View Post
    Hello.
    I have been googeling this forever, and can only find crappy terminal and configuration stuff, and not an actual program.

    I need to transfer larger files and was thinking of ftp.
    And i don't care if the program is free or open or closed or whatever it is.
    there are several
    Pureftp comes to mind the link is here.

    or vsftpd
    Last edited by kc1di; October 19th, 2012 at 08:41 PM.
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Ubuntu 14.04.1 /Xubuntu 14.04.1

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Beans
    7,354
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

    Sftp

    There are several FTP servers available, but unless you are setting up Anonymous FTP you might look to SFTP instead. It is easier to set up and is secure. You get it as part of the package openssh-server, and no additional configuration is needed to use it. On the client side you have Nautilus and Dolphin which can work with files via SFTP.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Beans
    856

    Re: Are there any FTP servers at all for linux?

    Quote Originally Posted by kc1di View Post
    there are several
    Pureftp comes to mind the link is here.

    or vsftpd
    I couldn't find a deb install file for pureftp
    And vsftpd is what I meant when I said configurations and terminal stuff.
    I even tried it, and it frustrated me and I couldn't get it working.
    I want something easy and simple without text files and terminal stuff. A normal program.
    Are there any?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Beans
    7,354
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

    Re: Are there any FTP servers at all for linux?

    Quote Originally Posted by colobix View Post
    I want something easy and simple without text files and terminal stuff. A normal program.
    Are there any?
    That would be SFTP for you. You don't need any difficult setup because it is configured to run in OpenSSH-server out of the box. You'll find OpenSSH-server in Synaptic or the Software Center. And you don't need any unusual clients because support is built into your file manager, press ctrl-L to connect from inside Nautilus or Dolphin.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Buenos Aires, AR
    Beans
    2,325
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Smile Re: Are there any FTP servers at all for linux?

    Quote Originally Posted by colobix View Post
    I couldn't find a deb install file for pureftp

    I want something easy and simple without text files and terminal stuff. A normal program.
    Are there any?
    Its on the software center sir.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Beans
    856

    Re: Are there any FTP servers at all for linux?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    That would be SFTP for you. You don't need any difficult setup because it is configured to run in OpenSSH-server out of the box. You'll find OpenSSH-server in Synaptic or the Software Center. And you don't need any unusual clients because support is built into your file manager, press ctrl-L to connect from inside Nautilus or Dolphin.
    I installed it and couldn't find it in the menu.
    I also tried pureftp, but couldn't find that either.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Beans
    61

    Re: Are there any FTP servers at all for linux?

    Quote Originally Posted by colobix View Post
    I installed it and couldn't find it in the menu.
    I also tried pureftp, but couldn't find that either.
    With Nautilus open, go to "File">"Connect to Terminal".

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Beans
    7,354
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

    sftp via nautilus

    Quote Originally Posted by colobix View Post
    I installed it and couldn't find it in the menu.
    Servers won't show up in any menus. They run in the background. If you want to see them running you can run either of the following in the terminal:

    Code:
    service ssh status
    pgrep -l sshd
    ps -eF| grep sshd
    But you don't need to do that unless you want to verify that it is running.

    Connecting to the server won't show up in any menu either. You known it's running on your machine, so use the ip number of your machine and connect in the File Manager (Nautilus) using ctrl-L. Then enter the URI for the server, including your user name and the ip address of your machine which is running the SSH server.

    sftp://colobix@xx.yy.zz.aa

    That's it. You should then be connected via Nautilus and can move files back and forth.

    Once you've verified that you can connect via SFTP, you can uninstall the FTPservers. It's better to remove unneeded servers.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Beans
    856

    Re: sftp via nautilus

    Thanks. I don't know what you mean by that though.
    I want a program that'll let me access my files from somewhere lese.
    I don't understand all this terminal and command and configuration stuff.
    I want an easy program that I can open and from there start the ftp thing so I can access files from another pc.
    Aren't there any for linux?
    I looked around on winehq, but none of the suggested ones worked.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •