Thread: Would this look OK?

Beans

Would this look OK?

This is not eOS, but the ordinary Ubuntu 12.04 Precise, so this is not "OtherOS" too, but it looks like that, yes?

The bottom panel is the Awn dock and the applications launcher is the "new" Slingshot.
    The window manager is Compiz.

Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Would this look OK?

please do not post the same images multiple times.

Thank you
    This account is not active.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    please do not post the same images multiple times.

Thank you
    Okay, no problem there at all.

This is not the same image, but as the topic heading goes...would this look OK?

This look sort of less intimidating with slight area free on the screen.
    Which one do you think look better, I mean useful?

Beans

looks quite nice I just hope it ain't a data hog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mythic97 View Post
    looks quite nice I just hope it ain't a data hog
    I don't know about that.
    This is the applications launcher used by Elementary OS Team. It is maintained by the Elementary OS Team as per the info in the launchpad. I like the "old" launcher, though.

Beans

Which one do you think looks better, not the wallpaper, but the applications launcher.

Both launchers have the same work potential.

Beans

The right hand one is almost an exact copy of the OSX Launchpad. So my vote is neither as there is no originality
    This account is not active.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    The right hand one is almost an exact copy of the OSX Launchpad. So my vote is neither as there is no originality
    I don't know about the OSX look. The last one I used was 10.5.7 or something. Anyway, I don't want to go back to OSX or start with Win8.

I believe that the Wingpanel had been done before OSX had come out with whatever its launcher, the time of Maverick or before. So, it could be that the Mac guys had copied it from the original developer, someone from Italy or Germany. By the way, the Mac guys always copy other people's stuff--Steve Jobs had said his famous saying on that.

The idea here is, whether the launcher would make the user's work easy and allow quick finding of any app or file. The old and the new Slingshot does that very well!

Yes, and much better than Lxde, Xfce, Openbox menus, and much easier than Gnome-shell or Unity.

The best ever, say the most easiest launcher, I had seen in the Linux world is the EasyPeasy one. Nothing had been found yet to beat that launcher.

i wish someone would help the EasyPeasy developer to move forward. If you've read my posts, you'd notice that I have brought EasyPeasy to Oneiric and to Precise. There is still something to do with the Precise build, and I hope the developer would do that. I'd help by testing.
    I'm sure there are many here, who know Python scripting, so they could help him. We mustn't let such unique distros die away.

Have a good day!

Ch

Note: The Slingshot Launcher had been registered in Launchpad on 2007-07-08, so surely OSX guys didn't have it then. It is updated automatically everyday.
    Last edited by Chdslv; November 27th, 2012 at 05:25 AM.

Beans

I found old batch of Moblin icons. It is also with the Jellybean theme.
    Gnome-classic panel, but without the Gnome menu.
    Here are some screenshots

God day!

Ch