Thread: Card reader in 12.10 not mounting SD card - Thinkpad Ricoh

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Card reader in 12.10 not mounting SD card - Thinkpad Ricoh

Everything worked fine in the previous Xubuntu 12.04 right out of the box.

Just did a clean install of Xubuntu 12.10. USB drives automount correctly, but nothing happens with the SD card reader or the PCMCIA slot.

Thinkpad X61. X64 Xubuntu 12.10.

lspci:

05:00.0 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev ba)
    05:00.2 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 21)

Please help!

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Plz help: Card reader in 12.10 not mounting SD card - Thinkpad Ricoh

I have a similar problem. The SD card is not automatically mounted, but if I open Nautilus and click on the "8 GB drive" icon, it is mounted.
    The mount point changed (is now /media/$USERNAME/disk and not /media/disk) but after that it works ok.

Is the same problem or you can't mount it at all?
    Last edited by r_mano; November 4th, 2012 at 07:15 PM.
    Have a nice day,
    Romano --- Linux user since 1989: first kernel 0.99pl8, Slackware distro (on 40 floppies! )

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Strange this.

So I could see the cards in the dmesg.

I had left both the SD card and the CF card in the Thinkpad when I freshly installed Xubuntu 12.10.

Both cards were formatted and working prior to the Xubuntu installation. I think the one was FAT16 and the other was NTFS.

Anyhow, I took the cards and put them in a Windows machine and they were just RAW unformatted cards all of a sudden!

Reformatted them and Xubuntu saw them right away.

No clue how this happened. I could swear that the Xubuntu install erased the cards' partitions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Be careful when removing the cards with the GUI tools. I've had to reboot my machine because I have an internal SD card reader and clicked "Safely Remove" to unmount my SD card. What that actually does is "Safely Remove" the whole card reader, and not just the SD card, so they won't appear at all even after removing and re-inserting the cards until you reboot. So make sure you're selecting the "Eject" option to unmount your cards.
    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    -- Mark Twain

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Card reader in 12.10 not mounting SD card - Thinkpad Ricoh

I do try to eject the cards every time.

But what I'm talking about is I could swear that somehow the ubuntu partitioner during the Xubuntu install, when I erased my HD and created new ext4 partitions (/ and /home and swap) *also* wiped out the partitions on everything in the card reader (an SD card and a CF card in a PCMCIA converter), even though I never told it to do this!

Weird.

Beans

I've got a freshly installed Xubuntu 12.10 (with the latest updates) and automounting does not work. The removable volumes appear in Thunar's sidebar, but they are unmounted by default, so I have to mount them manually every time I insert them. It works perfectly in 12.04.
    I've checked Removable Drives and Media (or something like that) in Settings, the necessary options are checked out (as in 12.04 also). It's quite irritating, because if I insert and want to listen an audio CD, the default media player can't play it, only if I mount the volume previously.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by videodrome View Post
    Strange this.

So I could see the cards in the dmesg.

I had left both the SD card and the CF card in the Thinkpad when I freshly installed Xubuntu 12.10.

Both cards were formatted and working prior to the Xubuntu installation. I think the one was FAT16 and the other was NTFS.

Anyhow, I took the cards and put them in a Windows machine and they were just RAW unformatted cards all of a sudden!

Reformatted them and Xubuntu saw them right away.

No clue how this happened. I could swear that the Xubuntu install erased the cards' partitions.
    Hello All,

I am having the same issue as videodrome but my issue is with a Transcend CF card. dmesg sees the card when inserted and also sees when it is ejected but doesn't show up in nautilus or anywhere else for that matter. I have a Ricoh 4-in-1 card reader in a thinkpad t61 using Ubuntu 12.10 64bit. The card reader sees the memory stick pro thats stuck into it no problem other than it is extrmely slow, just thought I would try to use this 4gig CF card I have laying around and it doesn't work. I have googled it and have come up with very little. Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

Singtoh
    Last edited by Singtoh; January 8th, 2013 at 08:42 AM. Reason: more info