Thread: Window borders & titlebar misbehaving in Gnome 3.6

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

SOLVED: Window borders & titlebar misbehaving in Gnome 3.6

When I try to change my GTK theme to a non-default theme using Gnome Tweak Tool, the window borders and titlebar (metacity stuff basically - is it still called metacity?) don't change to the new theme. I get something weird and ugly instead. Even if I do that business where you type 'alt-f' to get the command line and type 'r' to reload. Even if I power cycle, in fact, it still doesn't change to the proper metacity stuff.

Here is a screenshot. Gnome Tweak Tool is set to Delorean Dark, but the metacity stuff is all messed up.
    http://i.imgur.com/1DOo8.png

What am I doing wrong? I have a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.10. I installed Gnome Shell and Gnome Tweak Tool. Maybe there is some other little thing I need to install to get this to work right?

Also, here is what may be a stupid question: why does Gnome Tweak Tool have a dropdown menu labelled "Current Theme"? This one appears to select metacity stuff. Why isn't it called "Window Borders" or something like that? Or am I completely confused?
    Last edited by fullerenedream; October 28th, 2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: solved

Beans

Re: Window borders & titlebar misbehaving in Gnome 3.6

hey,
    I feel your pain. So the solution is really simple. move the theme that you want out of your .themes folder and into /usr/share/themes. then select it again through gnome tweak tool and it will work fine. See this posting:
    http://www.fandigital.com/2012/10/us...-shell-36.html

Thank you fandigital!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Yay awesome! Thank you! It is more of a pain in the butt this way, but it works!

Beans

I'm just making a note of this in case someone else has this problem:
    If the above method didn't quite work for you, make sure all the files under /usr/share/themes are readable and executable by everyone.
    Code:
    sudo chmod +rx /usr/share/themes/*