Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New Laptop Struggles - Lenovo Ideapad z585 - no Grub?

Beans

Re: New Laptop Struggles - Lenovo Ideapad z585 - no Grub?

I have tried it probably about 5 times now. There's actually nothing to back up at this point because I have never gotten the install to open! I may a actually try a different version of Ubuntu to see if hay helps.
    Lenovo Ideapad Z585 with the latest Ubuntu.

Beans

Hey,

I was stumbling across this thread because I'm having similar problems. I am also using the lenovo Z585 and am trying to dual boot win 7 and ubuntu. I was able to install ubuntu using the command line "noefi" whilst booting from the live-cd. Now, ubuntu is showing up in my boot menu but when I select it all I get is the aforementioned blinkiing cursor of doom. I've tried nomodeset, noefi and a bunch of other stuff i don't recall because this was months ago and I got frustrated and haven't tried it since.

Some people were able to boot into gentoo or debian and
    there's also a thread on the lenvo board regarding this matter, with no replies since September. So, it seems that this machine and linux don't get along too well, which is a shame, because I really like this laptop.

Ps.: No native speaker, so please excuse any mistakes.

Beans

I agree. I have really enjoyed the laptop as well and I even got an invite to the Steam beta which I planned on testing with the Z585. Unfortunately I don't really know enough to solve the problem myself, and its not a popular enough laptop to get any attention from more skilled users.

I plan on having this laptop for the next few years, and this takes me out of the Ubuntu world completely.

Beans

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Di...ns/td-p/869719

that's the thread on their forum. Maybe we should join in on it, just for the sake of harassing them.

btw , I've tried customer service, not shure if they know, what linux is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Glad i read this thread, as i was going to buy the same laptop! NOT now though.

can any one recommend a good £400 laptop for Ubuntu 12.10 please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well I have been successful installing arch linux with this laptop, although it was extremely trying. It gets complicated due to UEFI and SecureBoot, but I believe it should work with ubuntu as well. First step is to F2 at power on to access the "bios" and disable SecureBoot. Add legacy but keep it in preference of UEFI, save and reboot. Boot from the Ubuntu live as normal (make sure it boots through UEFI) and install. Use rEFInd instead of grub seems to work good for me, but if you really want GRUB you can use the grub-efi package. So far no problems, however, I am still on day 1 of this install..... Sorry about the unstructured mess of this paragraph, I am typing in haste.
    Last edited by Dark Shinobi; February 10th, 2013 at 10:06 AM.

Beans

Thanks for the post! But is there any risk in disabling secure boot? I've never messed with the BIOS before and I don't want to permanently damage anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

As far as I can tell, It should not be an issue. Secureboot simply makes sure that anything on the EFI partition cannot be altered, which is why it must be disabled to allow linux to boot from it. I've had it for a week or so now, with no ill effects, and every last feature working, and Windows 8 still boots fine with no error messages. I think it will be ok, especially since the new WUBI supports UEFI.
    Edit:
    Check https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_Guide. Its not relevant so much to Ubuntu, however, pay special attention to the parts that mention UEFI.
    Last edited by Dark Shinobi; February 24th, 2013 at 01:26 AM.

Beans

i been trying install debian 7 64 in this lenovo z585 laptop but fails even editing radeon.modeset=0 or 1, failsafe, textmode or the like, all fail, i have secureboot off, legacy boot, prefered boot to uefi and bootusb to legacy mode (am booting from usb stick), then i download the i386 debian 7 but the only option booting is failsafe mode with radeon.modeset=1 in grub, the normal boot with gnome desktop fails in gnome with both radeon.modeset to 0 or 1, gnome shows "xorg screen not found error" and booting enters a infinite loop, i try linux backtrack 5 before, boots allright, but wireless does not work, i'm DOWNLOADING UBUNTU 12.04 DESKTOP 64 NOW, I LET YOU GUYS KNOW IN A BIT.
    Last edited by dzup; August 23rd, 2013 at 08:29 PM.

Beans

I had try ubuntu 12.04 64 gnome-desktop, boots ok, no need for acpi=off or on in grub.
    ...but wireless does not work, now trying ubuntu 13.04 in 32bits gnome-desktop i let you know in a sec

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast