Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Confused about Linux Headers

Beans

Re: Confused about Linux Headers

Hi Jim,

I will definitely give that a try.

If it doesn't work I think that I will download 12.10, back up my data and install from scratch.

Cheers,
    /Paul

Beans

Hello gentlemen,

Success. I was waiting around for trick-or-treaters, so decided to use Synaptic, as suggested by Jim. I rebooted and ran the following.

Code:
    paul@paul-laptop:~$ uname -r
    3.2.0-32-generic
    Thank you everyone for your help!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Glad it worked for you also!

Now back to your original problem of compiling the drivers for VirtualBox. Have you already installed the build-essential package? If not, you may need it to be able to compile those drivers. You also need the "dkms" package to create the new drivers automatically any time you get a kernel update, but I think that one is now installed by default.

I'm fighting a problem myself now, with a 64-bit 12.04.1 system when attempting to install the Linux Guest Additions in VirtualBox; it goes part-way through the installation, then aborts because it's unable to find a file named "autoconf.h" although that file definitely exists on the system in question. I'm sure it's just not looking in the right place but have not yet figured out how to show it what to do...
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans

Hi Jim,

I was able to get to VirtualBox later on last night. I just started it up it worked just fine.

Before I had posted to this forum, I had tried a variety of ways of installing it but the one that seemed to cause the least amount of grief was going to their web site, downloading their deb package and installing it according to their instructions.

Once my kernel problem was fixed everything went smoothly.

My system is 32 bit. It's my perception that 32 bit systems cause the least amount of problems. Not sure why.

I am in the process of installing Arch in the VM. I want to install a system from scratch to learn more. So far I have partitioned and installed a file system. So I haven't gotten very far. It will probably take a while to get through the process.

If there is something I can do to help out let me know. I'll give it my best shot.

Thanks.
    /Paul

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm just experimenting, in some VMs, to learn more myself. I think the problem here might be that on this box I'm using vbox 3.2.12 which is really old. I've not found any significant difference in reliability between 32 and 64 bit versions; in fact I have a 64-bit 12.04.1 host system on another box, running 4.1.22 vbox, that's doing great, and almost a dozen VMs on this box which runs Xubuntu 10.04.4 and vbox 3.2.12...

I agree that downloading vbox from the Oracle site is the best way to go; I've set up their PPA on both boxes here that handle virtualization.

Good luck with ARCH; I went through that initial learning process using Mandrake on a very old Pentium 2 machine -- and it IS fun but also frustrating at times.
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123