Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Downlowding Maverick with a firewall in the distribution package?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Downlowding Maverick with a firewall in the distribution package?

Sure, a cloud of super computers could do it. You would need hundreds of personal computers working in parallel to do it. Change your password once a month if you're worried about that.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    Sure, a cloud of super computers could do it. You would need hundreds of personal computers working in parallel to do it. Change your password once a month if you're worried about that.
    >However, you have heard of parallel computing right? Or what >hackers do stealing CPU cycles from machines worldwide that are >left on and connected to the network at night right? So, a >single person, perhaps not, but a really good hacker, or network >of hackers, and I am sure you can crack a home based WPA key. >Hey, and what if the hacker is the government? Then, well, you >are toast. And big brother is watching you know! LOL:

Worried about it? You bet. I would have to change my password daily, and even then. Recently I have been monitoring when and where my email account is opened.

And while I was in the USA two weeks ago, my Yahoo email was opened in the USA and Mexico on the same day last week... So, I suspect it is network sniffing of the IP address from where I work. Easy to spot once I open a trigger email right? Anyway, yes, I will be changing my password more often. I now have about five ways to retrieve it, so I am not as worried. Thank you for the head up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Someone shouldn't be able to sniff your login credentials, all logins to email should be encrypted. Even if you were on an open WiFi connection and everyone around you could sniff your traffic, the login credentials you use to login to webmail would be encrypted.

If you were using a Windows computer I would say you have been keylogged or other eavesdropping malware is nabbing your password. Do you ever login to your email from public computers?
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    Someone shouldn't be able to sniff your login credentials, all logins to email should be encrypted. Even if you were on an open WiFi connection and everyone around you could sniff your traffic, the login credentials you use to login to webmail would be encrypted.

If you were using a Windows computer I would say you have been keylogged or other eavesdropping malware is nabbing your password. Do you ever login to your email from public computers?
    Thank you for the help. Now we are narrowing down on the issue.

My Windows PC network drivers were somehow blown away and I have been unable to restore them. Close but no cigar and lack of time... So, I have not been logging in from my Windows installation.

I created an Ubuntu bootable USB and I use that to connect to the network. It gets blown away daily. Gufw is not enough to protect me. So, I re-format it daily. Unless the source code is tampered with that should be clean. And when I use a fresh install, and change the password, I still experience the hacking.

Otherwise, I use an internet place that I believe is good. No wifi, avast anti-virus and firewall running windows. It could happen both places.

However, no, I was in Las Vegas at a Trade Show two weeks ago, and using only fresh Ubuntu installs, and I would get messed up. The keyboard would stop working, or the mouse, or hability to connect to the network, and all the other issues.

So, I think it comes most probably from the network when I am using Ubuntu. Perhpas I should download a fresh version of the Ubuntu distribution?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12