Thread: Cannot install grub after upgrade to 12.10 (software RAID-1)

Beans

Cannot install grub after upgrade to 12.10 (fake RAID-1)

Dear All,

I just finished upgrade from 12.04 to 12.10. I have fake RAID 1. During the install I get a message that grub cannot install on /dev/dm-1 so I waited until the installation is finished and tried to install grub by hand. But I failed:

Code:
    piglet:~$ sudo grub-install /dev/mapper/isw_ecjaadgfhh_Volume0p1
    Path `/boot/grub' is not readable by GRUB on boot. Installation is impossible. Aborting.
    After trying several more googled things I tried boot-repair, but it also failed starting from:

Code:
    sudo dmraid -ay
    RAID set "isw_ecjaadgfhh_Volume0" already active
    ERROR: opening "/dev/mapper/isw_ecjaadgfhh_Volume0"
    Here is boot-repair log.

So after finished 12.10 install, I still did not reboot the machine (without grub I am afraid to do so)

Anybody could help me?

Wojtek
    Last edited by jcauchy; October 27th, 2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: I wrote "software RAID" instead of "fake RAID"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Cannot install grub after upgrade to 12.10 (software RAID-1)

First of all, /dev/mapper/... is fakeraid 8bios raid), not linux software raid.

I am not sure whether you can add grub2 right now since you didn't reboot it yet after the upgrade. I don't know how is the system mounted and whether everything is updated.

I suggest to reboot the machine, and if it doesn't boot without grub2 properly installed, boot it with a 12.10 live cd into live mode, open terminal and try adding grub2 to the MBR of the array with:
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/mapper/isw_ecjaadgfhh_Volume0p1 /mnt
    sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/mapper/isw_ecjaadgfhh_Volume0
    That should install it to the array. Reboot without the cd and see if it boots.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Re: Cannot install grub after upgrade to 12.10 (software RAID-1)

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    First of all, /dev/mapper/... is fakeraid 8bios raid), not linux software raid.
    Right. I corrected it in the original post.

I suggest to reboot the machine, and if it doesn't boot without grub2 properly installed, boot it with a 12.10 live cd into live mode, open terminal and try adding grub2 to the MBR of the array with:
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/mapper/isw_ecjaadgfhh_Volume0p1 /mnt
    sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/mapper/isw_ecjaadgfhh_Volume0
    That should install it to the array. Reboot without the cd and see if it boots.
    It worked! Thanks!