Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A wishlist for Lubutnu 13.04

Beans

Re: A wishlist for Lubutnu 13.04

The trash bin is designed for trash yet there are some instances that you might ACCIDENTALLY delete a file.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by undecided4 View Post
    The trash bin is designed for trash yet there are some instances that you might ACCIDENTALLY delete a file.
    It does ask you if you really want to delete.

Beans

Support all VPN types out of the box and not just PPTP.
    Support L2TP/IPSec, SSTP and OpenVPN out of the box.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by waltd View Post
    Support all VPN types out of the box and not just PPTP.
    Support L2TP/IPSec, SSTP and OpenVPN out of the box.
    Yeah I second that. I don't understand why OpenVPn is not supported out of the box in Ubuntu (not just lubuntu) You just need to download a package from synaptic, but still...

Beans

In lubuntu, the quick search function in synaptic doesn't work out of the box (need to install apt-xapian-index) I think this should be fixed.

Beans
    Hidden!

Use attym instead of Pidgin (If they still use it) so that gnome stuff won't be in the distro anymore. Besides, MSN Messenger protocol is axed pretty much now; and it's the only protocol that makes attym act funny. (File transfers, etc. mainly.)

As for numlockx. I'm guessing your keyboard doesn't have lock lights? Or is a laptop with improper lighting support?
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    In lubuntu, the quick search function in synaptic doesn't work out of the box (need to install apt-xapian-index) I think this should be fixed.
    I agree that it is very awesome to have. However, on a low powered system it REALLY eats up the cpu. As Lubuntu is supposed to be a light system, I can see it not being a default. Though I install that before anything else.
    "Endure, and through enduring grow stronger."

Beans

1. Would be nice to have build-essential in there to start.
    2. Some of the common wireless chipset drivers seem to be..stale? and have been for a couple of releases. This usually necessitates black listing when the user compiles the current driver which is...not optimal, nor obvious that it needs to be done. (A lot of responders on the forum threads don't know that this might need to be done)

I wish the post-installation bootloader/boot process would be more reliable. It seems off-putting that one can boot off the live-CD, clean install without issue and then have the bootloader fail.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Theredbaron1834 View Post
    I agree that it is very awesome to have. However, on a low powered system it REALLY eats up the cpu. As Lubuntu is supposed to be a light system, I can see it not being a default. Though I install that before anything else.
    That's pretty surprising, I would want to see it as a default option as it almost seems necessary in Synaptic I guess the Software Center is being designed to replace it though.

As for my wishlist for Lubuntu 13.04 I really have none that haven't been stated so far, most of my gripes are probably with LXDE or Openbox something I know the Lubuntu people can't do much about. Keep up the good work guys!

EDIT:
    I actually forgot this cuz I did this myself, but they should add the volume notification for volume changing. It's xfce4-volumed.
    Last edited by Gaygerbil; February 12th, 2013 at 05:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Gaygerbil View Post
    That's pretty surprising, I would want to see it as a default option as it almost seems necessary in Synaptic I guess the Software Center is being designed to replace it though.
    I have an old 1.8ghz celeron with 512mb ram, and it maxes the CPU, and makes the computer all but unresponsive, IE the mouse motion is choppy as heck, if I can even move it. I am guessing this is a first gen celeron, though (or something of the sort), as the celeron in my Eeepc was at 900mhz, and didn't do near as bad.

I still add it as soon as I install, as your right in it is "necessary". However, if that happened to a random user who didn't know, they could freak out. Even more so since this DE is designed for slower computers, it probable happens a bit. I do use it on my 3.7ghz dual core too, and I don't even notice it. I am guessing it uses a feature that is in newer CPU's, that have to be emulated on older ones. Thus really slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaygerbil View Post
    I actually forgot this cuz I did this myself, but they should add the volume notification for volume changing. It's xfce4-volumed.
    Personally I use indicator-sound + Pavucontrol. I love being able to scroll my mouse wheel over the indicator to raise/lower the sound.
    Last edited by Theredbaron1834; February 13th, 2013 at 01:22 AM.
    "Endure, and through enduring grow stronger."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast