Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the days of the desktop numbered?

Beans

Re: Are the days of the desktop numbered?

Thankyou

Wanted too move away from my desktop and sit on the sofa with my 3 dogs, got a secound hand tablet 7 inch for £24 off Ebay, mouse and keyboard are Cerulean Studios and require a USB host on tablet, and work fine, cost £21 in Maplins.

I believe if you have Bluetooth on your tablet (I didnt), one of the most recommended keyboard and mouse setups was the Motorola Xoom ones. They are Bluetooth and should work with all android tablets of mmm 3.0+ I think.

Thats a point, I think keyboard and mouse support didnt come in until somewhere in the Gingerbread androids. So if your anywhere below Ice Cream Sammich, might be worth checking out if your tablets OK with keyboards and mouses.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I actually think that the proliferation of mobile devices and tablets has reduced my need for my LAPTOP, while my DESKTOP tower has remained steadily used.

Before I got my android phone and more recently my Nexus 7 tablet, I would do my "serious" work on my desktop (dual monitors, super powerful, etc) or I'd do my "causual" work on my couch or in my bed with my laptop. Now I still do my serious work on my desktop, but my tablet has taken over my casual reading, web browsing, email checking, etc. When I travel, I used to take my laptop. Now I'm fine with my tablet.

Beans
    Hidden!

The proliferation of handheld devices might be convenient and cool, but no one seems
    to mention the expense, both to buy and operate. And they come with built in obsolescence .

Beans

I don't think so and I would not be able to do CAD or Blender, Arudino (I wish to). I'm an intelligent and a creative person. Tablets maybe in the future when they become more stronger but for now they are a toy in my eyes. I wish this thread was locked; or would disappear it brings out great displeasure. What I wish is the mobile fad dies and dies quickly. For Facebook, Twitter the desktop was dead a long long time ago. I tried to find some news on the approaching hurricaine my way and I found more Tweets, and facebook than an actual Video feed for the area. The day desktops die is the day using a device for anything more than having fun with dies. But I understand the world does not revolve around me or smart people in general. As long as the common "App for that" is amused all is fine. I wish I did not have to brag about my intelligence but Tablets hurt my intelligence. Suddenly I feel like I'm downgraded and not so smart trying to do something on a thing that is small and was not meant to do with. Can you "Touch Screen"your way through a cad application? Can you actually draw anything measurable when not precise?

* Locked down device.
    * Forced to a store.
    List goes on.
    Last edited by linmick; October 28th, 2012 at 08:49 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by offgridguy View Post
    The proliferation of handheld devices might be convenient and cool, but no one seems
    to mention the expense, both to buy and operate. And they come with built in obsolescence .
    Desktop starts at £200 in UK with everything. You can get tablets for sub £100.

What cost in buying and operating them? And why get rid of a tablet while its still working? (obsolescence?)

Beans

@ Limmerick - Because a device is touch screen, doesnt mean you cant use a keyboard and mouse. Look at my set up at the bottom of page one of this thread.
    Last edited by Sableyes; October 28th, 2012 at 09:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Indeed. And it should be said that not all intelligent people use AutoCAD. But most folks probably do have at least one or two use cases that require a non-mobile machine.

I'm quite convinced of Android as a decent system for everything I need when I'm not at home, and of course it's better for consumption tasks like reading or browsing or typing this post, but it's also quite good for very basic word processing and so on. That doesn't mean that I don't need a desktop, but it really does mean that I don't need a notebook (I mean, aside from the paper kind, which are quite productive devices in their own right.)

Android is, by the way, not locked down to any store. No more than Ubuntu - they both have software shops with free and paid content and both allow sideloading. No PPA equivalent on the Android side, of course.

Edit: Need to stress that qualifier - most people need a personal desktop or notebook for some task or another. Not everyone. And it has nothing to do with how creative or productive or intelligent they might be. It's just a matter of what fields they're working in.
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; October 29th, 2012 at 10:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question Re: Are the days of the desktop numbered?

Quote Originally Posted by linmick View Post
    I don't think so and I would not be able to do CAD or Blender, Arudino (I wish to). I'm an intelligent and a creative person. Tablets maybe in the future when they become more stronger but for now they are a toy in my eyes. I wish this thread was locked; or would disappear it brings out great displeasure. What I wish is the mobile fad dies and dies quickly. For Facebook, Twitter the desktop was dead a long long time ago. I tried to find some news on the approaching hurricaine my way and I found more Tweets, and facebook than an actual Video feed for the area. The day desktops die is the day using a device for anything more than having fun with dies. But I understand the world does not revolve around me or smart people in general. As long as the common "App for that" is amused all is fine. I wish I did not have to brag about my intelligence but Tablets hurt my intelligence. Suddenly I feel like I'm downgraded and not so smart trying to do something on a thing that is small and was not meant to do with. Can you "Touch Screen"your way through a cad application? Can you actually draw anything measurable when not precise?

* Locked down device.
    * Forced to a store.
    List goes on.

Have you tried autocad ws for tablet? I have to say, not being tied down to my desktop has raised my productivity and communication and I can use the power of my desktop remotely through my tablet.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

This will not happen in my lifetime.

While mobile devices gets faster and more powerful, so does the laptops and PC's. As long as there are development on the hardware for laptops and PC's, then mobile devices doesn't have a chance to overtake it.

Just my opinion.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Sableyes View Post
    Desktop starts at £200 in UK with everything. You can get tablets for sub £100.

What cost in buying and operating them? And why get rid of a tablet while its still working? (obsolescence?)
    Tablets here in Canada run from $300- $650. If you have an internet
    connection, here you typically pay, $40-$100 per month depending on the individual plan.

An afterthought here; i personally don't know anyone who uses a tablet or iphone as a replacement for
    a desktop computer but rather as a supplement, or simply as another toy.
    Last edited by offgridguy; November 13th, 2012 at 05:56 PM.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast