Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the days of the desktop numbered?

Beans

Re: Are the days of the desktop numbered?

Ignoring price, when spcs are similar what's the advantage of a tower PC vs an all in one / slate / tablet?

Different question, are all in ones considerd desktops or tablets? I would say closer too a tablet, but no idea if that's right or not?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Sableyes View Post
    Ignoring price, when spcs are similar what's the advantage of a tower PC vs an all in one / slate / tablet?

Different question, are all in ones considerd desktops or tablets? I would say closer too a tablet, but no idea if that's right or not?
    First, you cannot ignore the price. Doing so is ignoring a major part of the argument.

Second, specs are not the same. You can get a whole lot more desktop for your dollar than tablet.

The advantages of a traditional desktop are:
    -Designed specifically for desktop work, like in a office
    -Capable of running CPU intensive programs
    -Large monitor size
    -Hardware can be customized and easily replaced
    -Hardware can be generic ie cheaper
    -Run desktop OSs, not tablet OSs which at the moment are not great for the types of things you need to do in an office environment
    -Ports can be added easily to allow for easy networking and device syncing

I cant think of a single advantage to having a tablet in an office....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    First, you cannot ignore the price. Doing so is ignoring a major part of the argument.

-Cheaper for me. For office use such as spreadsheets, word documents, email it is cheaper.

Second, specs are not the same. You can get a whole lot more desktop for your dollar than tablet.

-I have never understood buying super spec PCs for office use. For art and design yes, but office use with office software?

The advantages of a traditional desktop are:
    -Designed specifically for desktop work, like in a office - With office packages now on tablets, I cant see how advantageous this is.

-Capable of running CPU intensive programs - The tech in tablets has accelerated at a high speed. Multi core processors are already there. I dont feel it will take much longer for even higher spec tablets too come on the market.

-Large monitor size - Addressed.

-Hardware can be customized and easily replaced - Given this for the time being, but we are talking about the future of desktops, and with all in ones I think we will get customizable all in ones / slates.

-Hardware can be generic ie cheaper - Generic Tablets, cheaper.

-Run desktop OSs, not tablet OSs which at the moment are not great for the types of things you need to do in an office environment - Ubuntu are addressing this. With Win 8 theres also some familiarity between mobiles/tablets/desktops/all in ones.

-Ports can be added easily to allow for easy networking and device syncing - Again, really, is that far off in the future of tablets?

I cant think of a single advantage to having a tablet in an office.... - I am running out of reasons a desktop has any advantages over a tablet.
    This is one of those back and forth moments on the internet that will just carry on until 1 person gets bored of posting on the same topic eh?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This is one of those back and forth moments on the internet that will just carry on until 1 person gets bored of posting on the same topic eh?
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

Beans

Bowing out now then before the clink of a padlock gets heard.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

-I have never understood buying super spec PCs for office use. For art and design yes, but office use with office software?
    I didnt say anything about a super computer. You can build a perfectly capable computer for $400 or so.

With office packages now on tablets, I cant see how advantageous this is.
    Small screens with few ports = not made for office use.

The tech in tablets has accelerated at a high speed. Multi core processors are already there. I dont feel it will take much longer for even higher spec tablets too come on the market.
    Youre right. But they cost a whole lot more than 60 pounds.

Large monitor size - Addressed.
    Not really. Large monitor = higher cost.

Given this for the time being, but we are talking about the future of desktops, and with all in ones I think we will get customizable all in ones / slates.
    Dont think so. Tablets, like laptops, have to be built very specifically in order to be small. Laptops have been out for years and still arent really customizable. If a part breaks in a laptop, you almost alwasy have to order the exact same part direct from the manufacturer. In a desktop, if something goes, you can replace it with nearly any brand. Its much easier and cheaper.

Ubuntu are addressing this. With Win 8 theres also some familiarity between mobiles/tablets/desktops/all in ones.
    Havent used Win 8, but it doesnt seem to be going down so well with some people. Having an OS that is both for a desktop and a mobile device has many, many disadvantages.

Again, really, is that far off in the future of tablets?
    First, hoping for future advancment is not proof that a current product is better and another current product.
    Second, I dont think this will change much. Tablets are designed to be mobile media consumption devices. You dont need a wide variety of ports to watch youtube and play angry birds.

Please give me one advantage to using a tablet, which is designed for being a mobile device, in a non-mobile position like an office. I cant think of any at all.

Beans

For companies with hundreds of employees. All in ones can do the job of a typical desktop tower PC.
    I was reminded of this post while reading David Pogue's review of three all-in-ones. Their price? One from Vizio starts at $1,000; the other two from HP and Apple start at $1,300. I don't see many companies replacing $300-400 desktop towers and $100-200 displays with $1,300 all-in-ones.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

I don't currently use my desktop for a work environment but I couldn't imagine doing what i do with a tablet or mobile device.

I don't even like mobile devices. i don't even own a cell phone.

But the games I play, "office type" activities, feeling "home-like", there's no replacement for my desktop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by DukeOfMixture View Post
    I don't currently use my desktop for a work environment but I couldn't imagine doing what i do with a tablet or mobile device.

I don't even like mobile devices. i don't even own a cell phone.

But the games I play, "office type" activities, feeling "home-like", there's no replacement for my desktop.
    For many uses, a tablet is not useful as a desktop, but for many others, it can be. With an efficient remote desktop like NX, my "desktop" is available from any network connected client AND just as secure as if I were sitting on my home network regardless of where in the world that I am currently located. For most "office productivity" style work, a 10" tablet fills that requirement with a keyboard and BT mouse easily. If more screen real estate is needed, any TV with an HDMI port becomes the display (just add cable). The 8+ hrs of battery is great too and I'm not stuck with slow laptop or netbook performance - the performance is more like that from server-class hardware, since the desktop is actually running on a server.

I'm not as quick to write off tablets anymore, at least as a remote desktop access device.

If your work requires non-network access or usually not wifi/broadband connections, then a tablet as a remote desktop does not make any sense.

Beans

Probably in some instances the desktop will not be completely replaced, what will disappear first is the laptop. I suspect MS will be hit hard by people bringing their own devices, mostly iPads to work. Android has to get its stuff together security-wise before it can make a dent in the workplace IMO.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast