Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the days of the desktop numbered?

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Are the days of the desktop numbered?

Quote Originally Posted by KBD47 View Post
    Probably in some instances the desktop will not be completely replaced, what will disappear first is the laptop. I suspect MS will be hit hard by people bringing their own devices, mostly iPads to work. Android has to get its stuff together security-wise before it can make a dent in the workplace IMO.
    Are you serious? I would think that laptops are more useful than Desktops, it can do most of the things you can do with a Desktop but a lot more convenient. I don't see a use of desktops except in offices, why would I want a desktop at home to take up space while I can do all my work on a medium spec laptop which I can also bring with me for travelling and working abroad? Tablets and mobile on the other hand seem to be more gear towards the consumer market and not meant for doing serious work.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; December 7th, 2012 at 01:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by KBD47 View Post
    Probably in some instances the desktop will not be completely replaced, what will disappear first is the laptop. I suspect MS will be hit hard by people bringing their own devices, mostly iPads to work. Android has to get its stuff together security-wise before it can make a dent in the workplace IMO.
    Why would people bring their iPads to work to do office type work when their office already provides desktops? That makes no sense at all, especially since most offices have closed networks and workers wouldnt be able to access files from an external device.

I agree with monkeybrain....laptops arent going to disappear anytime soon. I think all these devices (desktops, laptops, and tablets) have their own place in the market. Desktops are best for office work, gaming, and stationary home use. Laptops are the best device for people who want the power and ability of a desktop but need it to be mobile. Tablets I honestly dont understand, but people apparently like them for "consuming" media. At the moment, no device can fully replace another and I dont see this changing anytime soon. If anything, laptops could replace desktops in many situations, but they are more expensive so it is not practical to buy one if you dont need mobility. Tablets replacing desktops is just silly.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Why would people bring their iPads to work to do office type work when their office already provides desktops? That makes no sense at all, especially since most offices have closed networks and workers wouldnt be able to access files from an external device.

I agree with monkeybrain....laptops arent going to disappear anytime soon. I think all these devices (desktops, laptops, and tablets) have their own place in the market. Desktops are best for office work, gaming, and stationary home use. Laptops are the best device for people who want the power and ability of a desktop but need it to be mobile. Tablets I honestly dont understand, but people apparently like them for "consuming" media. At the moment, no device can fully replace another and I dont see this changing anytime soon. If anything, laptops could replace desktops in many situations, but they are more expensive so it is not practical to buy one if you dont need mobility. Tablets replacing desktops is just silly.
    BYOD, bring your own device is gaining momentum here, so yes people do take tablets to work.
    This account is not active.

Beans

BYOD bring your own device is becoming increasingly popular/acceptable and many people work out of their home. If one already has a desktop computer a tablet is going to be more portable, have better battery life, and do 90% or more of what you can do on a laptop depending on who you are and your needs.
    Over a year ago if you told me a tablet would become my primary PC I would have laughed at you. Now I have a 10" Acer tablet running ICS and only occasionally use my laptop or desktop, and that usually for word processing. I love Linux, and it will be great to keep desktops and laptops out of landfills, but android and iOS is where things are headed. I hope Ubuntu can get there, and laptops along with desktops are not going to disappear overnight, but I challenge anyone to use a good tablet for a month then tell me how much they used their desktop/laptops.
    Last edited by KBD47; December 7th, 2012 at 04:29 AM. Reason: update

Beans

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...tionality.html
    At the link above you can get a glimpse of where computing is headed, small devices that are both portable and easily connect to larger monitors and even workstations. I think the Ubuntu devs have this in mind and if they can pull it off Ubuntu has a very bright future

Beans

Android aint so powerful that it will overtake desktops and neither is IOS or windows phone laptops and netbooks are the good stuff at the moment we just need a good merge of the two NOT WIN8 that was stupid and would fail

maybe a more powerful android?

maybe Ubuntu for phones?

maybe this won't happen?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    I will. Makes more sense for me than a mobile device. Maybe not for you, but that's okay.
    I like this attitude. I'm a huge proponent of the tablet and will defend them, but I will not go on the offensive against those who wish to use desktops. I can understand why it is preferred by many, just as handwriting is still preferred by some to typing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yeah, I do think that sometime that desktop computers will be less needed than they are today. Mostly by consumers like us, because students can easily get by with an iPad in school. But for professional people who need the power of the desktop, it will not die out for them. I think the Ubuntu phone is a good idea.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by SFBrother View Post
    Yeah, I do think that sometime that desktop computers will be less needed than they are today. Mostly by consumers like us, because students can easily get by with an iPad in school. But for professional people who need the power of the desktop, it will not die out for them. I think the Ubuntu phone is a good idea.
    I totally disagree with that. I had to type 20 page term papers, prepare presentations, make complex spreadsheets with graphics etc. You couldnt pay me to do these types of things on a tablet.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by lmp900 View Post
    i like this attitude. I'm a huge proponent of the tablet and will defend them, but i will not go on the offensive against those who wish to use desktops. I can understand why it is preferred by many, just as handwriting is still preferred by some to typing.
    +1

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast