Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the days of the desktop numbered?

Beans

Re: Are the days of the desktop numbered?

This is interesting maybe Microsoft were only insane with Windows 8 still desktops just need some portability I think as part of me wishes for an android desktop environment a hybrid if you will as a Google nexus 7 is as powerful as my laptop I just want it to be able to uses this power not just be £200 angry bird machine don't you agree? But I only think of ideas I can't do this I need someone who could do it, this is the final leap that would make tablets more powerful maybe make alot of powerful apps for it this would make the desktop lose popularity,
    maybe I should make some drawings?
    Still this a dream I hope will one day come true until then angry birds is the best we have...

Beans
    Hidden!

Desktop has pretty much had it for new users because you can get the power of a desktop in a laptop and in an age of portability a lot of people don't want or don't have the space for a desktop set-up. If you have a TV then you can connect your device to the TV and work with this bigger screen.

The desktop will never be 'dead', it has become for a long while a device for a more niche market for people that want to build their machine, want the best possible gaming experience or who need the raw crunching power of a desktop computer.

In the world where desktop apps are becoming less relevant to users due to the always on nature of the internet most non-business consumers are doing their work in the cloud with web apps like google docs.

Many users simply user their device to connect to the internet and check mail, watch video, update facebook, manipulate or share their photos and write some rubbish on twitter and with the advent of Smart TVs that enable you to do all of that a small portable device like their phone or a small tablet is all they may travel with.

It's not that the desktop is dead. The desktop was in the past the only device. If you wanted a computer you HAD to get a desktop because a phone was not portable and could only phone. Now we have loads of options. Laptop battery life has increased incredibly over the years and tablets are only getting better.

Laptops are morphing into touch screens with keyboards attached.

Netbooks will soon be replaced by tablets as they increase in power and become more usable than netbooks.

In the end consumers have more options, it's important for sales people to give consumers informed decisions based on their needs and uses for a computer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I think the days of the desktop are numbered, but probably not in the sense of lack-of-need.

I believe we're approaching the brink of another major evolution in computing, a bridging point where the idea of the desktop environment meets the mobile platform. Until now, these have been very disparate, almost disjointed, janky worlds.

I think it's a very natural evolution and am a little excited to see where these ideas (i.e., Ubuntu for Android) take us. As long as we, collectively, do not lose sight of our roots (in every respect), this might be a very interesting time ahead of us.

Beans

Not really as there will always be a need for customized hardware and setups.
    The desktop tower may be on its last legs but there will always be a market for them as long as people need high powered gaming hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Are the days of the desktop numbered?

Yes, for the masses, people are switching to tablets and/or mobile phones.

EDIT: The most frequently tasks can be done from one of those devices.
    Best, Gnusci

"Never make a calculation until you know the answer." -- Wheeler, Spacetime Physics, pg 60.

Beans

Every time I read discussions like these I'm amazed at how people never even think about businesses in all of this. Millions of people around the world sit in front of desktop machines every day entering data, writing documents, creating spreadsheets, etc., etc. None of these tasks are going to be replaced by tablets or phones anytime in the foreseeable future.

Next time you're at work, see how many of your co-workers are using a phone or tablet for their office tasks. Ask your IT department manager when they expect to replace their installed base of PCs and PC software with tablets and smart phones. Expect to get some funny looks.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; November 30th, 2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: typo
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Next time you're at work, see how many of your co-workers are using a phone or tablet for their office tasks.
    Actually, again, with my earlier picture, Tablets are becoming more viable as office devices. A 10+ inch tablet on a stand with a keyboard and mouse and no wires would happily work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sableyes View Post
    Actually, again, with my earlier picture, Tablets are becoming more viable as office devices. A 10+ inch tablet on a stand with a keyboard and mouse and no wires would happily work.
    Well, sure, but will your company's IT department support it? Will it run all the various proprietary software your company might be using? How about that old DOS-based app they are still using over in shipping? Will it run a Citrix client? Lotus Notes? I don't think you have a good grasp on how difficult it is to manage a network with hundreds of users if you don't control the hardware and software throughout the organization.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

I know 4 companies, less than 10 people who I have introduced too Linux. they currently Ubuntu with Ubuntu one and libre office for spreadsheets and word documents with gmail as email.

There's nothing they do that cannot be done on a tablet.

For companies with hundreds of employees. All in ones can do the job of a typical desktop tower PC.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Sableyes View Post
    I know 4 companies, less than 10 people who I have introduced too Linux. they currently Ubuntu with Ubuntu one and libre office for spreadsheets and word documents with gmail as email.

There's nothing they do that cannot be done on a tablet.

For companies with hundreds of employees. All in ones can do the job of a typical desktop tower PC.
    But why spend so much money for a tablet and the attached keyboard when a tower can be built for a couple hundred dollars less and outperform the tablet? It makes no sense at all.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast