Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Are the days of the desktop numbered?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Are the days of the desktop numbered?

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxratty View Post
    Nor do I,but I prefer a full featured computer with keyboard and mouse.
    Ditto. In fact I'm going to have to get a mouse of some sort for the laptop someone gave me. The touchpad drives me nuts. I like having mobility, but I love my desktop more.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i doubt it. Even if a smart phone would be able to have 2TB HDD, 3.66 Ghz mutli core processor the same as an average desktop today. By that time, programs would would require maybe 100GB per game, for example. The small devices never will live up to a desktop.

Plus there are some of us that actually despise touch screens, would rather use mouse and keyboard, would rather have a large monitor. Hard core gamers rely on desktops to fullfill the need and we look at the ipods, etc. as useless. If we need it on the go, the laptop would suffice and will always also be better than those types of devices.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Buntu Bunny View Post
    Ditto. In fact I'm going to have to get a mouse of some sort for the laptop someone gave me. The touchpad drives me nuts. I like having mobility, but I love my desktop more.
    Gah, this is the one thing I can't stand about using a desktop. All (three) external trackpads for desktops I've seen are fairly pricey, but I'm really looking forward to getting rid of this floppy lasery thing at some point. (I hate that I can't scroll horizontally.) What I really want is a desk-mounted trackpad the size of my Nexus 7.

And yes, there's an app for that, but it's terrible. = )

Beans

Are the days of the desktop numbered

hmm...66. though i think some of these questions were really unnatural. like all the ones about abandoning social interaction. i guess the notepad one makes sense but i can just remember all my ideas anyways.

EDIT: really toasty? raito?

Beans

Re: Are the days of the desktop numbered

Quote Originally Posted by Bakuda View Post
    hmm...66. though i think some of these questions were really unnatural. like all the ones about abandoning social interaction. i guess the notepad one makes sense but i can just remember all my ideas anyways.

EDIT: really toasty? raito?
    Go easy on the eggnog

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Are the days of the desktop numbered

Desktop will never stop to be made.

I have one very good reason for this conclusion. You cannot run any corporate software on a pad. Imagine how you are going to make a really slow interface like citrix work on a pad. It isn't possible, and will never be possible.
    I work in a shop, the cash cannot be a pad. Even a desktop is slow on cash registers, a pad can't handle the workload.

Beans

No! I am excited to build a computer form scratch in the coming months.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112