Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Are the days of the desktop numbered?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Are the days of the desktop numbered?

Surprisingly well, at least in the case of Kingsoft (the only one I've even briefly messed with that isn't Drive.)

I think assuming that LibreOffice is necessarily the more capable product is a bad assumption; there really are Android apps that outstrip their best Linux competition. An example of such an app (not a word processor, but you get the idea) is ezPDF, which beats every PDF annotator available on Linux, including that $85 USD monstrosity in the Software Center.

I got along fine as a student with Linux and OO. I don't really see the jump from that to Android as an extraordinary one.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    10" is fairly small, though. For many people (myself included,) typing 20+ pages on a netbook wouldn't be unreasonable, but it wouldn't be ideal, either.

And as KiwiNZ mentioned, even if the keyboard and screen size are manageable, the editing stage on a tablet is usually not going to be as nice as on a laptop or desktop. Again, maybe Surface. (Android does Ctrl+ [Arrow] but not Ctrl + Backspace or Ctrl+ Shift + [Arrow], and iPad has no trackpad, so neither one offers a particularly complete way to navigate the document in the editing process.)
    I actually prefer to edit on a tablet. First, my books looks more like the written page when the tablet is in portrait mode. I use King soft software to go over the document, making corrections where needed. It saves my last place, so I can easily find where it left off. I can do another edited listening to the text to speech using a tablet, listening for inconsistent passages. The tablet is far underestimated as a device for editing documents.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Im sure their fine, but as much as I hate to say it, Micrsoft Word is far superior to anything else out there. When it comes to complex formating nothing compares, not even Libre Office. How well do those programs do the .doc format?
    I'm editing whole books using them on the tablet, doc format is preferred. They all work with Google drive and drop box, and I think Quick office even works with Ever note. I usually also email myself backup copies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by KBD47 View Post
    I actually prefer to edit on a tablet. First, my books looks more like the written page when the tablet is in portrait mode. I use King soft software to go over the document, making corrections where needed. It saves my last place, so I can easily find where it left off. I can do another edited listening to the text to speech using a tablet, listening for inconsistent passages. The tablet is far underestimated as a device for editing documents.

Yeah, I'll print to PDF and mark up drafts on my tablet, although that's after the first round of inline editing. I don't write very linearly, honestly, but depending on what you're writing and your process, I could see initial drafting in landscape and proofing in portrait being enough. I'm almost always moving around the document a lot in drafting and revising, so it wouldn't work for me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by linmick View Post
    I don't think so and I would not be able to do CAD or Blender, Arudino (I wish to). I'm an intelligent and a creative person. Tablets maybe in the future when they become more stronger but for now they are a toy in my eyes. I wish this thread was locked; or would disappear it brings out great displeasure. What I wish is the mobile fad dies and dies quickly. For Facebook, Twitter the desktop was dead a long long time ago. I tried to find some news on the approaching hurricaine my way and I found more Tweets, and facebook than an actual Video feed for the area. The day desktops die is the day using a device for anything more than having fun with dies. But I understand the world does not revolve around me or smart people in general. As long as the common "App for that" is amused all is fine. I wish I did not have to brag about my intelligence but Tablets hurt my intelligence. Suddenly I feel like I'm downgraded and not so smart trying to do something on a thing that is small and was not meant to do with. Can you "Touch Screen"your way through a cad application? Can you actually draw anything measurable when not precise?

* Locked down device.
    * Forced to a store.
    List goes on.
    Take it you do some sort of engineering so Ill go easy. I don't understand why tablets hurt your intelligence, all people are saying is

"In the future the tower pc will be smaller and will be mobile, may also contain your phone"

I don't see how this harms your mighty high intelligent horse?

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't think the mobile fad is going away anytime soon, in fact with windows 8 it has probably gained in prominence, windows 8 phone as example.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Are the days of the desktop numbered?

Quote Originally Posted by offgridguy View Post
    I don't think the mobile fad is going away anytime soon, .
    Nor do I,but I prefer a full featured computer with keyboard and mouse.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by linuxratty View Post
    nor do i,but i prefer a full featured computer with keyboard and mouse.
    +1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxratty View Post
    with keyboard and mouse.
    As has been said a number of times in this thread, but keyboard and mice are already available for tablets

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

No.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast