Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Are the days of the desktop numbered?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Are the days of the desktop numbered?

whatthefunk, I honestly think Surface (including keyboard) would suffice for that stuff - and so possibly would iPad with a dock, too, or an Asus Transformer. It shouldn't be too different from using a netbook. It would be a different workflow and probably not ideal, but I don't think it would be crazy, ergonomically and such.

Sans dock it'd be crazy, sure.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    I totally disagree with that. I had to type 20 page term papers, prepare presentations, make complex spreadsheets with graphics etc. You couldnt pay me to do these types of things on a tablet.
    A Tablet or Surface would not, however a Laptop would. A Surface or Tablet can be a mobile extension of a desktop or Laptop and work well for this. So A desktop is not needed for the task a Laptop can replace it easily be further extended by a Tablet/ Surface.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    A Tablet or Surface would not, however a Laptop would. A Surface or Tablet can be a mobile extension of a desktop or Laptop and work well for this. So A desktop is not needed for the task a Laptop can replace it easily be further extended by a Tablet/ Surface.
    Agreed (I think). When I was a student, I had a laptop and it was perfect. Laptops are probably the best option for students because they can do everything a desktop can, but are small and portable. Typing 20 pages on a tablet? Ha.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Agreed (I think). When I was a student, I had a laptop and it was perfect. Laptops are probably the best option for students because they can do everything a desktop can, but are small and portable. Typing 20 pages on a tablet? Ha.
    Typing 20+ pages, no but editing yes
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I can't type on a laptop and using a tablet is out of the question except for single letter entries using a stylus .. In order to touch type, I need a full sized keyboard and prefer an ergonomic one. Most office situations fall into that category. Face it, businesses will still have need for at least work stations with a local server, and business buy a LOT of computers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Typing 20+ pages, no but editing yes
    If you had a keyboard with the tablet, why could you type 20 pages with a laptop and not type 20 pages with a tablet?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sableyes View Post
    If you had a keyboard with the tablet, why could you type 20 pages with a laptop and not type 20 pages with a tablet?
    Small screen size, sub-standard word processing programs etc...

Beans

Kingsoft Office, Office Suite, Quick Office are all very good programs for word processing on tablets. There are 10" screen tablets, many tablets have HDMI plugs for larger monitors if needed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

10" is fairly small, though. For many people (myself included,) typing 20+ pages on a netbook wouldn't be unreasonable, but it wouldn't be ideal, either.

And as KiwiNZ mentioned, even if the keyboard and screen size are manageable, the editing stage on a tablet is usually not going to be as nice as on a laptop or desktop. Again, maybe Surface. (Android does Ctrl+ [Arrow] but not Ctrl + Backspace or Ctrl+ Shift + [Arrow], and iPad has no trackpad, so neither one offers a particularly complete way to navigate the document in the editing process.)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by KBD47 View Post
    Kingsoft Office, Office Suite, Quick Office are all very good programs for word processing on tablets. There are 10" screen tablets, many tablets have HDMI plugs for larger monitors if needed.
    Im sure their fine, but as much as I hate to say it, Micrsoft Word is far superior to anything else out there. When it comes to complex formating nothing compares, not even Libre Office. How well do those programs do the .doc format?

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast