Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creative Sound Blaster 5.1 driver Installation help

Beans

Creative Sound Blaster 5.1 driver Installation help

Hey

I got the Creative sound blaster 5.1 card (Not the "Live"/Audigy) and have no clue how to get Ubuntu 8.10 to detect the card!
    And the system reboots randomly ever since i fixed the card! even if the speakers are switched off for the entire section!
    Please help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Creative Sound Blaster 5.1 driver Installation help

Quote Originally Posted by varunsuresh View Post
    Hey

I got the Creative sound blaster 5.1 card (Not the "Live"/Audigy) and have no clue how to get Ubuntu 8.10 to detect the card!
    And the system reboots randomly ever since i fixed the card! even if the speakers are switched off for the entire section!
    Please help.
    Live! cards have excellent support (I have the same card BTW) and it should have been recognised right away. Could you be more descriptive, I don't quite understand what problems you have with your sound.

What do you mean by saying that you have fixed the card?

Beans

After tryin the aplay -l command it gives me this

varun@varun-desktop:~$ aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Live [Dell Sound Blaster Live!], device 0: emu10k1x [EMU10K1X Front]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: Live [Dell Sound Blaster Live!], device 1: emu10k1x [EMU10K1X Rear]
    card 0: Live [Dell Sound Blaster Live!], device 2: emu10k1x [EMU10K1X Center/LFE]
    card 1: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
    card 1: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]

alsamixer shows this
    Card: PulseAudio │
    │ Chip: PulseAudio │
    │ View: [Playback] Capture All │
    │ Item: Master

So i guess the card is getting detected,but there is no output!

Beans
    Distro

After tryin the aplay -l command it gives me this

varun@varun-desktop:~$ aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Live [Dell Sound Blaster Live!], device 0: emu10k1x [EMU10K1X Front]
    card 0: Live [Dell Sound Blaster Live!], device 1: emu10k1x [EMU10K1X Rear]
    card 0: Live [Dell Sound Blaster Live!], device 2: emu10k1x [EMU10K1X Center/LFE]
    card 1: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
    card 1: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]

alsamixer shows this
    Card: PulseAudio │
    │ Chip: PulseAudio │
    │ View: [Playback] Capture All │
    │ Item: Master

So i guess the card is getting detected,but there is no output!
    OK, everythings looks fine. I assume then that it is a problem with your volume levels.

First of all, the alsamixer utility does not work any more as it's supposed to, since in 8.10 every ALSA sound passes through PulseAudio. That's why you only get two volumes, the PulseAudio playback master and capture master volumes.

The card is recognised fine, so you should have the speaker icon in your taskbar (i.e. the taskbar icon for the gnome-volume-control utility).

If so, right-click on it and select Open Volume Control. There you will be able to have access to all of the hardware volumes for this card (this card has many. That's a good thing, of course). Try to increase any playback volumes needed, like for example PCM, Master, etc.

You can enable more available volumes in the Volume Control by selecting Edit -> Preferences and ticking them.

If you don't have the speaker icon, try to add it by right-clicking on your panel and selecting Add to Panel. If you have problem adding it, you can try running Volume Control directly by pressing ALT+F2 and giving
    Code:
    gnome-volume-control
    Also, I recommend you to install the PulseAudio Device Chooser (the package is called padevchooser). This will offer you access to all of the features of PulseAudio, like individual volumes per application, moving an audio stream from one audio device to another on-the-fly and and some other.

There is also a possibility that is a problem with PulseAudio. Maybe your card is not set as the default output device in PulseAudio. Thus, run the PulseAudio Device Chooser (it will create a menu entry in Applications -> Sound & Video) and its icon will appear in your taskbar. Left-click on it and select Volume Control. In the Output Devices tab you should see your soundcard. Right-click on it and enable the Default option.

Hope that helps.

If you have any question regarding the above, don't hesitate to ask here.

Beans

Thanks a lot! it is working! But somehow there is lot of distortion! Do i have to work around some setting?

Beans

A loud squeeling noise to be precise! I have to reduce the PCM slider to nearly halfway to get rid of the noise!is there any other way i can get it done?

Beans
    Distro

Thanks a lot! it is working! But somehow there is lot of distortion! Do i have to work around some setting?
    A loud squeeling noise to be precise! I have to reduce the PCM slider to nearly halfway to get rid of the noise!is there any other way i can get it done?
    That's strange. You should be getting good sound from this card (it of relatively good quality and the drivers are good too). Also, the card and/or its driver is working OK with PulseAudio; as least for me.

I have my PCM at 100% and my sound is OK. I adjust my sound level using the Master volume (I am using my keyboard's volume keys).

Try to mute any inputs, maybe the noise is coming from one of these. Try to add as many inputs you can in the Volume Control by selecting Edit -> Preferences and then ticking them in order to appear. Some of them will appear in Playback tab some in Capture.

Mute any input levels in the Playback tab, and in Capture try to click the speaker icon that every volume has in its base.

Hope that helps.

If your problem is not solved, then it may be PulseAudio related. You may need to change the fragments and fragment size in PulseAudio.

Beans

The noise has disappeared now.The problem is only Front Left and Right speakers work! I tried activating all the switches,only the Master and PCM sliders show response!Changes in any other slider has no effect on the output!

Beans
    Distro

The noise has disappeared now.The problem is only Front Left and Right speakers work! I tried activating all the switches,only the Master and PCM sliders show response!Changes in any other slider has no effect on the output!
    Ah, do you mean that you have 5.1 speakers and you want to setup 5.1 sound? If that's the case, you can check this how-to.

Beans

Thanks, all the channels work now,but its all mixed up!
    The PCM corresponds to front! The rear satellites work only if the rear jack switch output is set as front,as for the center channel,the lfe and the center both perform the same function!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast