Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Favorite Music Player For Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: What's Your Favorite Music Player For Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Amarok Amarok Amarok
    +1

It's simply the best music player I've tried (on Linux, Windows and my short experience with OSX).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Yep. Upon starting the program it rescans the directories you select. If you put new music on your computer while its already open you can rescan your database and it will pick everything new up.
    its the scanning i don't like: it should not be needed. too, a music player should NOT access the internet but this will have to be changed to a music player should not be allowed to access the internet

I use the Audacious player -- which lets me select from my library directly without a scan

the thing i'm fussing with right now is: how do we get portable play lists ?
    ~~
    Last edited by mike acker; October 27th, 2012 at 04:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mike acker View Post
    its the scanning i don't like: it should not be needed

I use the Audacious player -- which lets me select from my library directly without a scan
    Just did a double check and you can do it both ways in Amarok. The Local Music feature requires a scan and the Files feature doesnt. Now everyones happy

the thing i'm fussing with right now is: how do we get portable play lists ?
    You can export a playlist with Amarok.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mike acker View Post
    its the scanning i don't like: it should not be needed. too, a music player should NOT access the internet but this will have to be changed to a music player should not be allowed to access the internet

This is a matter of personal preference, of course, but I'm totally the opposite: with 10700 tracks in my music folder, I need a player that builds a database, otherwise browsing my collection and selecting which tracks to play would be a pain.

On the other hand, I like the fact that Amarok displays the lyrics of the songs I'm playing, which requires internet access (of course, I think this feature can be disabled). I use online radios sometimes, too, which also requires internet access.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by scouser73 View Post
    Used to like Guayadeque but moved on to Banshee, I think it's brilliant.
    I'm with scouser. I use Banshee and love it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by odiseo77 View Post
    ...with 10700 tracks in my music folder, I need a player that builds a database, otherwise browsing my collection and selecting which tracks to play would be a pain.
    Imagine me with 252,000+ mp3's. I do like Amarok, but being a user of Gnome, I don't like the KDE clutter it installs. If/when I install a KDE distro, I'll give it a shot again.
    Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without Music, Life Would Be A Mistake" - So, what album are you NOW PLAYING?

My Last.FM | My Original Music at Jamendo

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Spellbinder View Post
    Imagine me with 252,000+ mp3's. I do like Amarok, but being a user of Gnome, I don't like the KDE clutter it installs. If/when I install a KDE distro, I'll give it a shot again.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I was a Gnome user before and I used Amarok even on Gnome. Luckily we have many music players to choose from on Linux land.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I personally use banshee. I needed something that could sync with my various i-devices, and banshee fit the bill. It also has a large selection of features, such as an built in equalizer, which I love

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I *love* Rhythmbox. Although Banshee has some more features, it's a bit more heavy than Rhythmbox.
    But well, I'm not one of those people who loves listening to music all day. So I'm happy with it, it fills my needs
    ~comecon

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I like Sonata and Quod Libet

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast