Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu 12.10 on nexus 7: anyone have it running?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: ubuntu 12.10 on nexus 7: anyone have it running?

Wait a second - it can run KDE? What about Plasma Active? That's the one Gnuish Linux interface meant for this form factor. I'd be very tempted to try Ubuntu on my Nexus 7 if I could run a proper handheld interface. (No stylus needed there! Though I do suggest investing in a nice one - I use one occasionally (in Android) on my Nexus, and it's really worth the few cases it comes in handy.)
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; November 2nd, 2012 at 05:08 AM.

Beans

Yes, it ran KDE fairly well for a while. Though after a period of time, icons and text became a mess of random pixels. I don't know what happened--- this happens with the window decorations in LXDE as well.

I haven't tried plasma active, I briefly looked into tweaking KDE, and I remember reading something about how plasma active wouldn't work on this for some reason (but that might be completely wrong, I haven't looked into it too deeply yet).

Edit: Earlier today I put a fresh installation of Ubuntu on the Nexus 7 wiping out LXDE/KDE/XFCE (I added LXDE back so I'd have that to work with). I just tried installing plasma-active. I'm not sure if I installed it the way it was supposed to be installed, but I simply installed plasma-active from synaptic, and all of its dependencies. When I then try to log into a KDE Plasma session, it just gives me a black screen. So plasma active might not work out-of-the-box (unless I did something wrong, but I think synaptic should have taken care of it).
    Last edited by gwjvan; November 2nd, 2012 at 07:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yeah, I guess it would have been too much to hope for. = ) But thank you so much for trying that out and letting me know!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi!

Anyone else w/positive results/comments?

Beans
    Distro

Hi!

Am I the only one interested in loading 12.10 on my N7?

KegHead

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by KegHead View Post
    Hi!

Am I the only one interested in loading 12.10 on my N7?

KegHead
    I'm interested, but at $200 I'll wait a while until people start getting usable results.

I'm comfortable with LXDE on my Thinkpad that Unity doesn't like, so LXDE would be O.K. if it will run reasonably. I'm usually on the development forums such as raring and can take a certain amount of workarounds.

On raring I'm running unity/compiz though I'm no fan.

I do have a 10.1" tablet, Asus Transformer 101 with factory keyboard, Android is blazes faster than raring ubuntu on my netbook for output. Input is another matter....note the netbook hardware is 1.6 gHz dual processors and the Transformer is 1.0 gHz dual processors, nominally slower specs for the tablet. Same size memory.

Beans

If you want a stable good Ubuntu tablet I am afraid you will have to wait to 14.04 LTS by then bugs and stability should be sorted out hopefully and then Ubuntu for android should be ported over as well so there hate to disappoint

Beans

I have been running Ubuntu 12.10 for quite a while now, and while it may have quite a few bug, it can be very useful. the more that use it, the faster it gets ready for primetime. Anyways, there are quite a few workarounds you can use to enhance your current experience. Not to mention there is now a multi boot solution for the Nexus 7, so you dont have to sacrifice a stable android os to test Ubuntu. Now, for a few workarounds.

1. Accessing the fs on usb devices like thumbdrives or smartphones (if you have an otg cable). As it sits, it cannot access them through nautilus without some work. Here is how--

Insert usb stick and hit cancel when the error appears. Open terminal. Type "su" and enter password (ubuntu). Now type "cd". Type "mkdir /root/.config". Type "nautilus". Nautilus will open as root and drive will be accessible in left pane. Copy to and from as normal. This is the process for the first time. Every time after, just type su, then nautilus.

2. Bluetooth would not pair to my SGS2 Skyrocket. Known bug, but easy to get around. Open the software center and download "Bluetooth manager". Open and you are set. I transfer files between Ubuntu and my android phone regularly, and in both directions.

3. No wifi scanner. No problem. Again, open software center and install wifi radar. All set.

4. No sound. Ubuntu has already stated the workaround for this. Unmute, suspend from power menu (not power button), and exit suspend. Sound will work.

I use an otg cable and a usb hub, so I use a mouse, keyboard and various other devices at the same time. This alone makes a HUGE difference in functionality. When I do use the touchscreen, the only issues I find is the dash home scrollbar is unusually small and hard to manipulate. The other is no right click with touch, but it is a know issue.

I also have working adb and fastboot binaries that were compiled for arm, so I can work on my phone from my Nexus 7 when I am not near a pc or laptop. SUPER CONVENIENT!

These things are very basic, but make a very large difference in the experience. I will continue using this to be able to report bugs and help it along as much as I possibly can. I am in no way a dev, so I am limited. But, it still has to be done. We learn as we go. If we can somehow contribute in the process, then it was well worth it.

So, I hope you all have fun with it. I know I will. Have a great day, everyone.

Edit: If I may make one recommendation to the devs, it would be to add otg+host mode charging commits to the kernel. Many of us use a "y" cable, and being connected to power while still using peripherals via otg would be an excellent addition.
    Last edited by rebel1699; November 28th, 2012 at 02:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi!

I'm still a little shy.

The Jelly Bean updates are great.

The apps are catching up in quality.

Not sure I can wait for 14.04.

KegHead

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by KegHead View Post
    Hi!

I'm still a little shy.

The Jelly Bean updates are great.

The apps are catching up in quality.

Not sure I can wait for 14.04.

KegHead
    After so many initial problems, I decided to hold off at least until 13.04. Plus, I agree that Android 4.2+ has some great features. I read somewhere that dual booting Android and Ubuntu will be/is possible.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast