Thread: Questions about Unity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Questions about Unity

I recently installed 11.10 on my laptop, this is my first experience with Unity and have some questions about it's use.
    Been using Unity 2D mostly as it's a bit more responsive than the 3D one.

I would have used 12.10 but the Nvidia driver for my laptop won't install.

When I minimize a window I noticed it doesn't go to the taskbar which use to be at the bottom of the desktop.
    I have to click on the 'workspaces' Unity launcher and click on the appropriate workspace to get my window, which takes longer and I don't like it.

Is this the normal way of getting to a minimized window now? Isn't there a better easier way? Can I get back the bottom task bar?

I can't add any shortcuts/apps on the top taskbar with the right-click anymore, has this been disabled/changed?

How do I add shortcuts/apps to the Unity launcher??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Questions about Unity

Hey,

When you open an application you can right click it and click "lock to launcher" and it will make a shortcut to that application! Also some apps have integration, like an email client, and will display information about it like how many emails you have and such.

Also, in terms of your nVidia problems you can refer to this post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2076774

I am currently uses my nvidia card and have no problems, so if you need any additional help please feel free to ask!
    System Specs: Processor:Intel® Core™ i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4 Graphics:nVidia Quadro 2000m RAM: 8 GB

Ubuntu User: 34379

Beans

I have my nvidia card installed on 12.10 64bit.

check out this link
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2076002

Post 5 helped me out the most. That command actually was all I Needed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have to use the 173.14.* driver is there one available for 12.10 in the repo's?