Thread: Hard Drive is not recognized

Beans

Hard Drive is not recognized

I have an older desktop, to whose hard drive has wiped. I installed ubuntu from a boot cd to a usb flash drive. I want to take the hard drive and create 2 partions on it (one for storage, one for ram). However, ubuntu does not recognize the hard drive. Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Hard Drive is not recognized

So you are able to boot Ubuntu on the desktop from either the usb or cd media? Can you start the installation process or the live system? Can you post a screenshot of the partitioning tool? Did you verify the physical connections of the hard drive?

Beans

I can boot from the flash drive i installed it to. When i first attempted to install ubuntu it recognized the hard drive, and i have just checked, the hard drive is connected. However when i first installed it said that the boot cd was made too quickly, and after that i have not been able to read the hard drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

However when i first installed it said that the boot cd was made too quickly, and after that i have not been able to read the hard drive.
    Could be an indication of a bad burn. If you are still using the same, I would suggest to create new boot media.

Beans

I did create a new disk, and that is how i installed. But now the computer does not recognize the hard drive.

Beans

Try Gparted.

I had same experience. But in my case gparted recognized it. So make partition and and filesystem with Gparted. Then it mounted.

After that I modified fstab to mount it.