View Poll Results: Is it good that Ubuntu contains advertisments?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • To have advertisements is a good feature in Ubuntu. I like it.

2 6.45%
  • I don't care if Ubuntu contains advertisements or not.

6 19.35%
  • I don't like the advertisements. I will remove them.

17 54.84%
  • I don't think GNU/Linux distros should promote ads. I will use other distro than Ubuntu.

6 19.35%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it good to have advertisements in Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Is it good to have advertisements in Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by x-shaney-x View Post
    Maybe in time they will be. So far it is just a collection of suggestions completely unrelated to the query.
    It is right now. The reason the suggestions aren't always that accurate is because the queries are usually vauge (i.e. fir). The implementation (which is rather poor right now, in my opinion) has some to do with this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterMadness View Post
    Google ads do this.
    Not sure why this matters. Google uses ads that were set up by users for a particular thing. The shopping lense's results are just straight-up searches from Amazon, just more conviently available in the Dash.
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by WinterMadness View Post
    Google ads do this.
    No they don't. Google Ads displays advertisements that are based on your previous search history, but they are always there on the side. Google Ads don't go away if you say, are simply checking your email.

The Amazon search results aren't always in your dash. They aren't on your desktop. They are a direct result of what you type into the dash, not an always-there banner influenced by past searches.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't think about them like ads, because they theorically are a feature. For people who buys at Amazon, the shopping lens can be cool, but as I don't, I just uninstall it. But here's the trick. I can disable them, they aren't ads then. Google Ads are ads (although you can disable them with AdBlock Plus).
    So I don't think it's a problem, if you don't like it, turn it off, if you like it, keep them on. That's freedom
    Last edited by COMECON; October 29th, 2012 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Ads are them, not it, intelligent dude.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123