Thread: windows update trashes wubi: how to recover

Beans

windows update trashes wubi: how to recover

This is a solved problem I want to share, showing everything in one place.

After successfully booting my Samsung netbook NC10 into wubi-installed Ubuntu 12.10 Linux many times, one day it started failing and dumping me into Busybox with an (initramfs) prompt. After 2 days of Googling and trial and error, the following steps are what it took to repair my broken system.

0 I think maybe the problem was caused when I updated Windows XP. The updates called for a reboot of Windows. But instead of immediately rebooting into XP I absently booted into wubi Ubuntu. Thereafter Ubuntu was trashed. XP remained OK and finished the upgrade normally when I returned.

1 The answers that worked are here:
    http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5004

2 If you don't already have one, make a live Linux USB stick. Staying with Ubuntu,

2a Download the appropriate .iso file from ubuntu.com

2b Check the md5 sum against the one here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes
    I did this in Windows using md5sum.exe from etree.org (it's free). I had to download the .iso file a second time to get the right hash.

2c Download a live stick burner that works in Windows. Ubuntu recommends the one at pendrivelinux.com

2d Burn the stick. NOTE: I had to check the "format" box. Step 3 would not work without formating the stick. If necessary adjust your bios to allow booting from USB.

3 Boot into the stick. Select "try", not "install" If it's Ubuntu, enter "terminal" in the ridiculous Unity search field to get a command line.

4 Then in order, (from the neosmart.net thread)

4a Find which drive/partition has the wubi files:
    sudo fdisk -l

4b Make a mount point for it:
    sudo mkdir /win

4c Mount it. In my case it was sda3 so
    sudo mount /dev/sda3 /win

4d Make another mount point:
    sudo mkdir /vdisk

4e Mount the wubi file:
    sudo mount -o loop /win/ubuntu/disks/root.disk /vdisk

4f In my case command 4e failed so run fsck:
    sudo fsck /win/ubuntu/disks/root.disk

5 fsck worked and worked and worked some more but eventually got things squared away. Ignoring step 4e, I rebooted without the stick and all was well again.
    Last edited by john_3000; October 26th, 2012 at 09:25 PM. Reason: added more stuff