Thread: Display manager problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Display manager problem?

Recently experimentally installed gdm instead of lxdm... Later, I decided to return to lxdm. I uninstalled gdm and, as advised by a line of text that appeared in the terminal during the uninstallation process, ran the command
    Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure lxdm
    Now when I try to boot Lubuntu, I either get just a black screen or an endlessly looping loading screen (Lubuntu logo with row of blue/white dots underneath).

How can I get the greeter/display to come back?

I can get lxdm to run if I go in recovery mode and type
    Code:
    sudo lxdm
    but the screen looks all stretched when I do this.

Thanks in advance for any help

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Display manager problem?

If this is Lubuntu 12.04 or 12.10 you need to be aware that lightdm has taken over from lxdm, though for some reason lxdm is still installed (in 12.04 it is anyway).

EDIT: Scrub that; lxdm is not installed as well, it seems that some files for lxdm still appear in the filesystem for some reason.

Perhaps use lightdm instead of lxdm in the command you used?
    Last edited by ajgreeny; October 25th, 2012 at 10:38 PM.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    If this is Lubuntu 12.04 or 12.10 you need to be aware that lightdm has taken over from lxdm, though for some reason lxdm is still installed (in 12.04 it is anyway).

EDIT: Scrub that; lxdm is not installed as well, it seems that some files for lxdm still appear in the filesystem for some reason.

Perhaps use lightdm instead of lxdm in the command you used?

I think it's Lubuntu 11.10... It's Oneiric Ocelot, anyway...
    Does this make a difference?

Beans
    Distro

Hmmm, I have tried lightdm, and the problem persists. None of my data is lost, so I'm gonna go for a standard Ubuntu install.

Thanks for the help

Beans
    Hidden!

If I'm not too late try
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure lxdm
    It looks as if you tried that without root permissions which would not work.

Sorry I missed that need before.

I also think that lightdm did not arrive in Lubuntu till 12.04, hence I have left lxdm in the command as it was.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    If I'm not too late try
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure lxdm
    It looks as if you tried that without root permissions which would not work.

Sorry I missed that need before.

I also think that lightdm did not arrive in Lubuntu till 12.04, hence I have left lxdm in the command as it was.
    Yes, I did try that, thanks anyway Since I haven't been able to get anything to work, I've uninstalled Lubuntu and I'm now just using standard Ubuntu... Thanks to everyone for the help