Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No internet access in other OS after installing 12.10

Rebelli0us is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

No internet access in other OS after installing 12.10

I installed Ubuntu 12.10 in its own disk/partition and a different disk contains an installation of Linux Mint 13.

I can still boot Linux Mint, everything works but no app has internet access. The wired connection shows OK and the System monitor even shows occasional network activity. The other thing I noticed is that Mint time is now wrong by several hours.

The Ubuntu install was just experimental, but I do important work in the Mint OS which is now apparently useless without internet access. What's happening?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: No internet access in other OS after installing 12.10

Do you have internet access in Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

The ubuntu installation has nothing to do with how another OS works. When on separate partitions, the OSs are exactly that, separate. If there is a Mint forum I suggest you seek some advice for troubleshooting there, I don't know Mint.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

with some hardware, networkmanager is a nightmare. If you can install wicd from /var/cache/apt/archives/ using dpkg -i , then you are lucky.

did you ping somewhere to check eth0 ? what says ifconfig ? have you paid your isp ? (joke)
    Last edited by dino99; October 26th, 2012 at 04:32 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 2F4U View Post
    Do you have internet access in Ubuntu?
    Yes Ubuntu 12.10 works fine, it even works with the MATE shell!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    The ubuntu installation has nothing to do with how another OS works. When on separate partitions, the OSs are exactly that, separate. If there is a Mint forum I suggest you seek some advice for troubleshooting there, I don't know Mint.
    Yes, that should be so. The 2 disks even have their own bootloader. I mounted the Mint partition from Ubuntu 12.10, so I thought maybe the mountmanager (erroneously) changed permissions or something...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    with some hardware, networkmanager is a nightmare. If you can install wicd from /var/cache/apt/archives/ using dpkg -i , then you are lucky.

did you ping somewhere to check eth0 ? what says ifconfig ? have you paid your isp ? (joke)
    I didn't ping, I ran ifconfig and lshw -c network and got what appears to be a normal connection.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelli0us View Post
    Yes, that should be so. The 2 disks even have their own bootloader. I mounted the Mint partition from Ubuntu 12.10, so I thought maybe the mountmanager (erroneously) changed permissions or something...
    Don't blame the mountmanager. The computer does what you tell it to do.

Usually mounting and touching system partitions of another OS is a bad idea. That's why you create shared data partitions and you can access them from any OS.

If you are talking about wi-fi connection it could be disabled now in a way, but this is only pure speculation.

If it uses dhcp, first check if it receives a correct IP in your range. Then start pinging, the home router first. Then a public IP like 8.8.8.8. Then a domain.

If ping by IP works but by domain doesn't, it's dns issue and check the dns configuration in Mint.

Etc, etc...
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    Don't blame the mountmanager. The computer does what you tell it to do.

Usually mounting and touching system partitions of another OS is a bad idea. That's why you create shared data partitions and you can access them from any OS.

If you are talking about wi-fi connection it could be disabled now in a way, but this is only pure speculation.

If it uses dhcp, first check if it receives a correct IP in your range. Then start pinging, the home router first. Then a public IP like 8.8.8.8. Then a domain.

If ping by IP works but by domain doesn't, it's dns issue and check the dns configuration in Mint.

Etc, etc...
    Thank you, I mounted the ext4 partition to fetch some files I needed, isn't that what computers are for?

ok so ping 8.8.8.8 and 192.168.1.1 worked but domains like att.net, yahoo, google and morningstar returned "unknown host"...

I googled "dns configuration" and it looks like a technical nightmare. What happened here, that OS was working just fine?
    Last edited by Rebelli0us; October 26th, 2012 at 05:10 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

sudo dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/wicd.deb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast