Thread: Java and Firefox, 12.04

Beans

Java and Firefox, 12.04

Hi, I'm having a lot of trouble getting Java to work with my browser in 12.04. I currently have version 7 JDK installed from the repos.

Code:
    $java -version
    java version "1.7.0_07"
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea7 2.3.2) (7u7-2.3.2a-0ubuntu0.12.04.1)
    OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.2-b09, mixed mode)

$javac -version
    javac 1.7.0_07
    I deleted the links in the firefox and mozilla folders following a tutorial. Now there is no libnpjp2.so or libjavaplugin_oji.so to link to -- which hadn't worked when they were there.

Any idea how to get this working with Firefox?

Beans

Re: Java and Firefox, 12.04

It is so annoying!

Beans

In 12.10 this worked for me.

First I uninstalled all the java programs I could find in the ubuntu software center. Then after searching the web I found this info. Ad bam java works on the browser now. Reason I uninstalled all the java programs was because you cant have to java programs they will conflict with one another.

To install JRE 7:
    1. Open a terminal window.
    2. Type in the following commands then hit Enter after each.
    sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://www.duinsoft.nl/pkg debs all' >> /etc/apt/sources.list"
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys 5CB26B26
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install update-sun-jre

Edit: Hope this helps man.

If this is not working for you.

Ok so after crashing ubuntu and starting back fresh I went to install this and I could not get it to work. I searched the ubuntu store looking for java instalations but couldnt find any. So recalling what I did last time i just retraced my steps. I first installed iced tea plugin. Once installed I then searched java on my installed tab and then procceded to uninstall all the java's taht where checked off. Then I tried this task and it work just fine. In conclusion if this is not working its because there is some form of java already installed on your system.

I am a total newb so this retarded step is all because I still learning a lot lol.
    Last edited by Twilk73; October 29th, 2012 at 04:21 AM.

Beans

Thank you very much!

It worked perfectly, other than me having to change the url to "deb http://www.duinsoft.nl/pkg debs all".

Beans

Success here too, Twilk73.

Perhaps you could edit your message. It appears that the '*'s should be spaces.
    Can you explain what your commands do? It looks like you are adding a repository in the Netherlands and updating Java from there. Is that right?

Without this, Ubuntu's java installation is rather lame. The Iced-Tea plugin fails to work, even though java -version shows "1.7.0_09-b05". Sometimes Firefox completely locks up trying to load an applet. Now it works fine.

Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Many thanks for your excellent input regarding #java

Success here as well.

Thank you

Beans

Just a note, I was also able to get the JDK working great with this, by going to http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...s-1859576.html, downloading the Linux X64 tarball, issuing this command:

Code:
    sudo mkdir -p /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0
    Then, after extracting, moving the contents of the tarball to the jdk1.7.0 folder:

Code:
    sudo mv jdk1.7.0_09/* /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0/
    Then entering:

Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --install "/usr/bin/java" "java" "/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0/bin/java" 1
    sudo update-alternatives --install "/usr/bin/javac" "javac" "/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0/bin/javac" 1
    sudo update-alternatives --install "/usr/bin/javaws" "javaws" "/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0/bin/javaws" 1
    ... which I read about here.

And that's it!

Beans

This also works in Debian Wheezy/Sid.