Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All new package uploads will go to "proposed" first for Raring

Beans

Re: All new package uploads will go to "proposed" first for Raring

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    Right, we strongly discourage people from running -proposed on a development release; packages will automatically migrate to the regular archives when they're ready.
    That may be good if the 'inhouse' testing of these proposed packages is fairly complete, certainly at times in 12.10 didn't always seem to be the case
    On a somewhat minor case/example will be curious to see what happens when you upload nautilus-3.6.1, as it stands now it will (re)break some previously fixed focus issues in Unity
    After release, -proposed is for testing SRUs and we want people to use -proposed and help out with that testing.
    That's what many here should be doing now

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    That's what many here should be doing now
    Point taken. We embrace testing-version too soon and do not participate in that part of cycle...
    I'm sorry to admit that we've been talking about that at least previous two times, but... No excuses, from me at least...
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Distro

I've got proposed enabled, and I'll keep it that way until it blows my system away

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    That may be good if the 'inhouse' testing of these proposed packages is fairly complete, certainly at times in 12.10 didn't always seem to be the case
    On a somewhat minor case/example will be curious to see what happens when you upload nautilus-3.6.1, as it stands now it will (re)break some previously fixed focus issues in Unity
    But because the migration from proposed is automatic and fast (it may be a 1 hour delay, but it depends on how long it takes all architectures to build), reporting a bug in -proposed won't stop the migration.

I do plan to upload Nautilus 3.6.1 when the archives open. Have you filed those bugs yet or are you going to wait for it to actually land first?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Let me see if I understand this correctly. The concern is that the packages build correctly and not that the package contains bugs that will break the install once they are integrated?

OK. That's why we are here. That's why you need us.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Yes, -proposed for the development cycle is only to fix the temporary uninstallability problem, where packages haven't built on all architectures. In the future, failing to pass automated tests can also block the automated migration from -proposed. More details in Colin's email.

So if you want to fix problems before they hit the development release, it sounds like learning how to write automated tests would be useful.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wheeze View Post
    I've got proposed enabled, and I'll keep it that way until it blows my system away
    Away or anyway...
    Last edited by zika; October 26th, 2012 at 05:32 PM.
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans

But because the migration from proposed is automatic and fast (it may be a 1 hour delay, but it depends on how long it takes all architectures to build), reporting a bug in -proposed won't stop the migration.

I do plan to upload Nautilus 3.6.1 when the archives open. Have you filed those bugs yet or are you going to wait for it to actually land first?
    No, not yet, was waiting for it to show in repo. It came up the other night when I was testing some builds by Dmitry to fix the segfault in nautilus-3.6.1 caused by http://git.gnome.org/browse/nautilus...?id=629c9bc27a
    (I thought he CC'ed you on the issue & progression of fixes?

So the final fix was to revert 21_correct_timestamp_use_fix_focus_issue.patch
    This causes no issue in GS, but brings back in Unity
    (there was a small gtk patch that fixed All focus issues inc. nautilus but it was rejected in favor of the 21 patch

So here, for the moment have applied a gtk fix for using 3.6.1 & 3.7.1 in a unity session

(3.7.1 has a nice fix on recursive searching, would be something to consider adding to 3.6.1 if that's the one used in 13.04, have tested just applying the 3 related commits to the gnome3 ppa source with no apparent issue yet.
    Last edited by mc4man; October 26th, 2012 at 05:25 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

im wondering if "proposed" will be used to:
    - wait for all the dependencies been uploaded before migration of the main package

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

I have one PC commited to just 'proposed' and ignoring all other quantal security updates repositories. I just want to see what happens. I did a fresh install from the Oct. 14th RC and it has not hiccupped once yet. Currently downloading some upgrades...
    Last edited by ventrical; October 27th, 2012 at 12:37 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12