Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems installing ubuntu

Beans

Question Problems installing ubuntu

Hey guys, I'm completely new with linux and ubuntu. I have now tried to install ubuntu couple of times, with no success.

First time I tried to install with cd. I rebooted my computer, installation started, and then, screen wen completely black, and then cursor appeared, and just kept flashing, nothing else happened. (I waited for 30minutes, and nothing happened). My friend thought it might be caused by my display adapter, so I just gave up with it.

Now I got new display adapter and decided to try again, and everything went just like last time, except instead of only cursor, there was a lot of text on the screen, and then in froze like last time (text stayed on the screen). I didn't get the text exactly, but I tried to google couple of lines, and I found this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1429112

And that text looks same kind of text than I was having. Except my problem was ata6 and ata5, and it froze after "ata5: hard resetting link" But I there is nothing connected to ata5 and ata6...

I tried also installing it inside windows, and installation went okay, but after I tried to boot to ubuntu, and it started finishing installation, same problem appeared.

I know I am stupid with ubuntu, because I've ever used it, and I already sorry about my stupid questions Please help me!

Motherboard: Asus P8H61 EVO B3 Intel H61 LGA1155
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 3.4 GHz LGA1155
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB SATAIII
    DDR3: Kingston Valueram 8GB (2x4Gt) 1333MHz DDR3
    Display adapter: Gigabyte GV-N550WF2-1GI NVIDIA GeForce GTX550

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Problems installing ubuntu

Maybe try downloading ubuntu via ubuntu.com?
    If your question is solved, please mark it with [SOLVED]by using Thread Tools.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

S3iSk4; Hi ! Welcome to the forum !

This is ubuntu philosophy - there are no stupid questions, only stupidity is not asking questions...we were all innocent at one time.

We will get you up ...Panic not. Just proceed in a calm and orderly fashion.

1stly..some preliminary questions.
    How old is the computer -> does GPT partitioning apply or UEFI booting ?
    do you want to keep windows such that you dual boot ?

Lets see if we can get you booted as far as a grub (grand unified bootloader) menu.
    1. Insure the cd drive is 1st boot priority in bios settings.
    2. insert the install cd into the cd drive. -> Patience takes time to de-compress //
    3. As soon as the bios screen clears depress and hold the shift key -> grub menu.
    4. At this grub menu at the bottom are boot options, choose f6 and enable "nomodeset" ....this option is good for 70% of problem installs -not knowing your hardware specifics at this time ...will try it.
    5. Insure in the main menu the "try ubuntu" option is highlighted; hit the enter key.
    --> boots into the operating system with restricted graphics (fixable later).
    using the "try" mode prior to installing verifies all hardware and interfaces working.
    play with the ubuntu operating system, see that you like it //be advised running of the cd will be very slow as compared to the install onto hard drive.

this is good 'nuff for the time being ...get this done and all looking fair then see bout an appropriate graphics drivers and what ever "might" (nada) need attention.
    just try'n to help <==BDQ

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Is it a laptop? Maybe it is optimus enabled?

Beans

I'm running on desktop, not laptop

Thanks for your help Bashing-om!

I tried those tricks, however it didn't work. After I downloaded latest version (first I was trying 10.04 which I had left from last time I tried) and started installing, it behaved like last time, after loading ubuntu screen, screen goes black, cursor is blinking on upper left corner. Then cursor duplicates to both of my screens (I have 2 screens plugged in) and after flashing for a while, both screens goes completely black. They are on, they are getting signal, but picture is black.

Then I tried that nomodeset thing. Only difference it made was that cursor just kept flashing, and screen didn't go black (it was only on one display). I waited for good 15 minutes before giving up.

I checked boot order from BIOS, and made sure that dvd drive is first on the list.

Beans
    Distro

Ok ...dual monitors...let us not overwhelm whatever driver (vesa???) is loaded at this time .
    Disconnect one of the monitors (system powered down->no power spikes !)

and in baby steps --lets try this again...sometimes holding the shift key can cause a keyboard buffer overflow...try repeatedly depressing the shift key -> grub menu ?

Getting the grub menu is the first step ...and is required

going to boot up here ...see if escape key also performs that function.

back in a bit ! <===BDQ

Beans
    Distro

I am back..boot menu not a grub menu ....sheesh //what was I THINKING //install cd has no grub!

anyhow ..bios screen clears -> depress any key -> language screen ->escape key to accept default english selection -> boot menu -> f6 ->nomodeset -> enter key ("try "ubuntu line in boot menu highlighted) -> boots to operating system ?
    small steps ==> BDQ

Beans

Yeah I went there, and I did what you told (nomodeset and trying without installing), that was the second part of my post. So then cursor just kept flashing (just to keep it clear, I mean white underline flashing on the screen). Second screen was black, and the first one didn't go black like it did without nomodeset setting.

I have had other problems with BIOS, so I updated it and tried after that, same result (I really didn't think it would help, but anyway).

I also tried disconnecting second screen, but it didn't help.

So I'm able to go to boot menu, but after that problems starts.

I'm done for today (in Finland is 1am), so I'll get back to this problem tomorrow. I appreciate your help, and hopefully we'll get it working tomorrow

Beans
    Distro

S3iSk4;
    We are making progress..still think'n a matter of graphics -> come up with another boot option ...there are several other options in the boot menu that you can try.

In this regard, different cards recognize differing options. Do you know what family of graphics card you have installed ?
    Nvidia -> nomodeset
    ATI -> radeon.modeset=0
    intel ->i915modeset=0

will disable kernel mode setting in the install ...hopefully permitting to boot into ubuntu (and fix).
    good morning -> see ya next morning ==>BDQ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Are you sure the CD is good? How did you burn it?

Do you have an old junker PC that you could use to try installing from the same CD?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast