Thread: Downloads

Beans

Downloads

OK i am new to Linux down loaded some items that have worked without issue but downloaded Google earth but cannot get it to run must be missing something to install any help appreciated
    Ian

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Downloads

Quote Originally Posted by ian1951 View Post
    OK i am new to Linux down loaded some items that have worked without issue but downloaded Google earth but cannot get it to run must be missing something to install any help appreciated
    Ian

welcome to the forum,

in linux you don't have to download everything from the internet, just use the package manager/ software centre to find out what you require.

you can install google earth, but you have to download the ' deb ' package for your architecture( 32bit or 64bit) from the internet. it is not available in the ubuntu repositories.

after that, you just have to do it in the windows way, click it and it will be opened in software centre.
    Make money by writing !
    You only live once, do what you like most !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Hello and Welcome

You should be able download/save the appropriate 32 or 64 bit package and double click to open with the software center. http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html

To check if you have a 32 or 64 bit kernel use the following command.
    Code:
    uname -a
    If you have the correct Google Earth package please describe the problem in more detail.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Welcome to the forums Ian, installing software in Ubuntu is incredibly easy if you do it the smart way. Here is what I recommend:

1. Google "google earth site:ubuntu.com"
    2. This site is the very first hit: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GoogleEarth
    (notice the link is ubuntu.com so it can be trusted)
    3. Follow the easy instructions.
    4. If you have problems/errors then post back and be descriptive i.e. "I tried the how-to from Snowpine's link, but when I try step 3 I get the following error message _____." (use copy & paste to copy the exact error message)

Good luck, and remember, if something seems difficult in Ubuntu, stop, take a deep breath, and find out if there's an easier way !!

Beans

Thanks to all who replied managed to sort the problem

Ian