Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asus K53e on Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit

Beans

Question Asus K53e on Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit

Hello there, I am new to the forums and kind of new to the world of Ubuntu. I installed it on my last laptop, but never got around to playing with it. Well that laptop died with a gaint foot.

So, I bought a Asus K53e! As soon as I turned it on, there was no OS. It only costs 200 dollars. Can't complain.

So, i placed Ubuntu 12.10 on here. I plugged it into a Ethernet line while installing the ubuntu 12.10 64-bit. The Asus K53e has 8 gb of ram and an I-5 processor.

After a fresh install and a update, i tried to play on my laptop elsewhere and found that my wireless doesn't work correctly. It will connect, but only for 2-4 minutes.

I have searched the forums and tried many of the different things that was said. I noticed a common trend was the update, but that is done and the wireless is still giving me troubles. I also set the wireless to all users. But I have no idea what i am doing wrong.

Inorder to upload this ^. I will have to disconnect and reconnect. The Asus K53e from my understanding have all had this same problem.

So, is there a fix?

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Asus K53e on Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit

We'll need some more information to continue. Please highlight and right-click/copy the below statements:

echo "****************************************\n\n" > ~/test.txt
    echo -e " lspci" >> ~/test.txt
    echo -e " \n\n" >> ~/test.txt
    lspci >> ~/test.txt
    echo -e \n"****************************************\n\n" >> test.txt
    echo -e "\n****************************************\n\ n" >> ~/test.txt
    echo -e "\n lsusb\n\n" >> ~/test.txt
    lsusb >> ~/test.txt
    echo -e "\n\n****************************************\ n\n" >> test.txt
    echo -e "****************************************\n\n" >> ~/test.txt
    echo -e " lshw" >> ~/test.txt
    echo -e " \n\n" >> ~/test.txt
    lshw -C network >> ~/test.txt
    echo -e "****************************************\n\n" >> test.txt
    echo -e "****************************************\n\n" >> ~/test.txt
    echo -e " iwconfig\n\n" >> ~/test.txt
    iwconfig >> ~/test.txt
    echo -e "\n\n****************************************\ n\n" >> test.txt

Now open a terminal window and do the following:

gedit test.sh

in the editor window, do a paste to paste the copied text from above into the editor

click save, then close the editor

chmod +x test.sh

./test.sh

then post back here again attaching the test.txt file from your home folder.
    Last edited by squakie; October 26th, 2012 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Forgot a couple of things

Beans

Question Re: Asus K53e on Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit

This is the results:

-e lspci
    -e
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 05)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b5)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev b5)
    00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 6 (rev b5)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM65 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
    02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter (rev 01)
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet (rev c0)
    -e ****************************************
    -e lsusb
    -e
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 058f:a014 Alcor Micro Corp. Asus Integrated Webcam
    -e lshw
    -e
    *-network
    description: Wireless interface
    product: RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
    vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
    logical name: wlan0
    version: 01
    serial: 74:2f:68:67:0b:44
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl8192ce driverversion=3.5.0-17-generic firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
    resources: irq:17 ioport:c000(size=256) memory:dea00000-dea03fff
    *-network
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet
    vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: c0
    serial: 54:04:a6:22:11:c6
    size: 100Mbit/s
    capacity: 1Gbit/s
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
    configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=atl1c driverversion=1.0.1.0-NAPI duplex=full ip=192.168.0.145 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100Mbit/s
    resources: irq:47 memory:de000000-de03ffff ioport:b000(size=128)
    -e iwconfig
    -e
    wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSIDff/any
    Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=20 dBm
    Retry long limit:7 RTS thr=2347 B Fragment thrff
    Encryption keyff
    Power Managementff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ok, so we can see the wireless is rtl8188ce (realtek). Try an internet search with the following in the search string:

ubuntu 12.10 rtl8188ce

You can look through the results and see if (1) someone else has had the same problem and (2) a possible solution. Keep in mind the links don't have to point to the ubuntu forums as there are also plenty of other sites that might have that posted in them (the ubuntu forums should always be the first place you check, the first place you post seeking an answer).

If you can't find anything just post back and we can look as well. I think it's a matter of loading a different module (driver) and blacklisting the existing one.

Beans

After searching around for a bit, i found this: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...true#RTL8188CE

I downloaded the linux 3.2 or later

I then looked up linux commands.

ls to see my options.
    cd downloads
    i changed the name to drivers.tar.gz inside the download folder instead of command line.
    I clicked the properties and make excutable
    then in command line i typed: ./drivers.tar.gz
    and it gave me a non binary error.

So, what should I do with these drivers?

Beans

Update (Currently using the wired)

I have downloaded the drivers.
    Extracted to a folder.
    Following the readme file.
    in the termail i have done sudo su to make a super user mode.
    i have done make -C to make a directory
    Now I need to do make install, i'm not to sure why this isn't working, but i will figure it out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't know what the readme says, as I haven't downloaded that - I may just to see. In the mean time, if you did the sudo su, you won't need to put sudo in front of the rest of the commands (won't hurt anything if it's there, it's just redundant). Normally the procedure is something like cd to the folder containing the extracted files , then sometimes ./configure, then make and finally make install.

Normally for these things to be successful you have to be sure you have the build-essential package installed.

It's getting late, but I may look at the download yet and see what happens.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ok, I just did the download, then extracted all out to a single folder (the default in extract). I then just did the following, as noted in section II of the readme, in a terminal window:

make

sudo make install

This all worked in terms of building the driver. I don't have your wireless adapter, so there is no use in me doing the reboot they recommend.

You shouldn't need anything else that's in the readme from what I can see - just sudo su, then make, then make install.

I'm running 12.10 with what ever the current kernel with it is.

Note that I also have the build-essential package installed. It is needed for compiling things from source such as these drivers.

If it works, after you reboot you should see the available networks with network manager.

Beans

I have tried and tired again, Failing each time.
    This is the error message i keep getting:
    Code:
    make -C /lib/modules/3.5.0-17-generic/build M=/home/davebold370/Downloads/rtl modules
    make: *** /lib/modules/3.5.0-17-generic/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    I have searched the web and found:
    http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Do...table_releases

I have searched through all the 3.5 and all yield the same results (Slightly different because of the folders/download names):

Code:
    root@davebold370-Lap-Ubu:/home/davebold370/Downloads/compat-wireless-3.5.4-1-snpc# make
    ./scripts/gen-compat-autoconf.sh /home/davebold370/Downloads/compat-wireless-3.5.4-1-snpc/.config /home/davebold370/Downloads/compat-wireless-3.5.4-1-snpc/config.mk > include/linux/compat_autoconf.h
    make -C /lib/modules/3.5.0-17-generic/build M=/home/davebold370/Downloads/compat-wireless-3.5.4-1-snpc modules
    make: *** /lib/modules/3.5.0-17-generic/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
    According to this, my current linux build is 3.5.0-17, thus, i need those drivers. I can't find them anywhere. What should I do?
    Edit: Instead of reply posting

after seeing the 3.5.0-17 compat is what i needed to find, i opened up the ubuntu repository and searched from the 3.5.0-17 and found the headers, modules, and tools for this level. I installed all of these, and it gave me an extra 3 minutes before the wireless cuts off once again.

After studying it, it's almost as if the power is not regulated and the wireless card itself shuts down. I don't know if that could be the case. I wish the wireless usbs were linux compatible, because i would just buy one of those and be done with it. Then again, i would not know if that would truly fix the problem or not.

Thus, at this point, I have used all i know to fix this problem and i have nothing else i can do that i Know of. So, i plead with you all. Free me from my wire. Please
    Last edited by davebold370; October 27th, 2012 at 06:48 AM. Reason: New Information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't know - the make and make install worked fine for me - none of the troubles you encountered - but I don't have that device to test with.

Perhaps you should check for a ubuntu-compatible USB adapter (I use a Tenda N USB adapter - it was extremely inexpensive at Micro Center).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast