Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Super simple lxde lubuntu wallpaper changer, no memory usage, no crazy scripts

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Super simple lxde lubuntu wallpaper changer, no memory usage, no crazy scripts

I just noticed a newer pcmanfm in the raring ringtail repositories, so I installed it to give it a try. It is version 1.1.0-0ubuntu1 and so far it is working good in Lubuntu 12.10 after setting the wallpaper from command line.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pcmanfm
    or
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?ke...ng&section=all

Beans

Re: Super simple lxde lubuntu wallpaper changer, no memory usage, no crazy scripts

sweet , thx for the update, now I can rest assured knowing that when I do upgrades on everyones machines in the future, that their random wallpaper will keep working.... nice
    Last edited by ronniew; November 9th, 2012 at 11:04 PM.

Beans

Best solution I've found for this purpose on any system so far. Thanks for this superior idea

Beans

no problem, glad it came in handy.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ankspo71 View Post
    Unfortunately I am unable to use it in a stock Lubuntu 12.10 because I am affected by a bug in pcmanfm 1.0.1-0ubuntu1, where pcmanfm refuses to launch after setting the wallpaper by command.
    I had the same problem but noticed that pcmanfm would still start from a shortcut to a folder, but wouldn't start from it's base application. It meant that I could easily start it up with a shortcut to the home folder on the desktop, but the application launch bar shortcut didn't work.

You can fix that by editing the desktop configuration file for the PCManFM application to direct it to open to a specific file.

To do this, open the terminal and type the following:
    cd usr/share/applications
    sudo leafpad pcmanfm.desktop

Now scroll down and find the line:
    Exec=pcmanfm %U

Here you need to change the "%U" to your preferred default folder. I use /home/malwiggin so the line reads:
    Exec=pcmanfm /home/malwiggin

Save the file, and your File Manager should start as normal now.

Beans

For an automatic wallpaper rotator (slide show) script, rather than just a changer, see
    http://lxlinux.com/#5.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ankspo71 View Post
    Thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately I am unable to use it in a stock Lubuntu 12.10 because I am affected by a bug in pcmanfm 1.0.1-0ubuntu1, where pcmanfm refuses to launch after setting the wallpaper by command. The latest git version 1.0.2-alpha1 fixes the bug though, which I was able to temporarily test on a non-persistant liveusb. Bug: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func...56&atid=801864
    Yeah mine too. So I had to remove this, too bad, it was kinda cool.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for this thread.

Beans

Thanks very much for this nice tutorial!
    The only thing is that the manual switching via the menu is not always reacting, any clue why?

Beans

Cool Re: Super simple lxde lubuntu wallpaper changer, no memory usage, no crazy scripts

Great little script - I used it on Fedora 16/LXDE - zero probs, thanks very much. It was just exactly what I was looking for!

One note - in the instructions, ronniew says "Name the file whatever you want just end it with .desktop I usually name the icon randomwallpaper.desktop"

for the not too observant or a 'noob' - that could cause an 'ooops' later

Open your terminal and enter these commands

cd Desktop
    cp randomdesktop.desktop ~/.config/autostart
    sudo mv randomdesktop.desktop /usr/share/applications
    the example filename is randomwallpaper.desktop

Thanks again -

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast