Thread: Recommendation for Dimension 4300 (12.10 too much for the old beast)

Beans

Recommendation for Dimension 4300 (12.10 too much for the old beast)

I recently decided to wipe out the windows xp install on an old dimension 4300 I had and I uploaded 12.10 on to it. It worked fine from the live cd on install but after I rebooted I could log in and then the desktop would not load. I figured it might be a problem with not having enough RAM and upgraded that. I am now running 1GB of RAM on it and still I am having issues with it loading. I think it might just be a little too old for the latest and greatest of Ubuntu. What would be a good older version to start with that would actually run on my Dimension until I build my new CPU (very excited about this as its my first!)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Recommendation for Dimension 4300 (12.10 too much for the old beast)

I think that it should at least load up //might be laggy, but should load.
    As you can get a terminal; what is the result of:
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm start
    just try'n to help <==BDQ

Beans

It says job is already running. It's not that it is laggy, I can pull up terminal easily, I think that my video card may not be compatible with the OS. Nvidia NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] is the video card. I was actually thinking I might just try and use the server for it instead as it was eventually going to be turned into a server anyway. If I do that, what version would be best? And how would I go about getting the wireless adapter software installed so that the server would work

EDIT: Did a bit more research, I think I am going to be best off installing kubuntu on it. I found an article and someone got kubuntu to work with the same graphics card. I think I just need to get a live CD and wipe and then start over with the kubuntu
    Last edited by Regretfulone; October 26th, 2012 at 02:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Kubuntu is not generally regarded as 'light'. Have you considered/tried Lubuntu? Not sure about video support though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    Kubuntu is not generally regarded as 'light'. Have you considered/tried Lubuntu? Not sure about video support though.

it can be quite light if you turn off effects and a few services. 180 MB ram or so....
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla