Thread: New fan control / temperature sensor driver for Nuvoton NCT6775F, NCT6776F, NCT6779D

Beans

New fan control / temperature sensor driver for Nuvoton NCT6775F, NCT6776F, NCT6779D

After discovering that my ASUS P8Z77-V LK motherboard has the stupidest excuse for fan management that I've ever seen, I went looking for a way to automate my CPU and case fan speed via software. Ubuntu's fancontrol and psensor packages are quite handy, but they don't know anything about this motherboard's sensors or fan controllers. Guenter Roeck's nct6775 driver takes care of this nicely.

To tide myself (and others) over until this driver gets included with lm-sensors, I packaged it for management by DKMS on Ubuntu. By installing my package, the driver will be automatically built for your current linux kernel and any future updates, hassle-free. You can get my package here:

https://launchpad.net/~foresto/+archive/extradrivers

It's currently built only for Ubuntu 12.04 (precise). I'll upload a 12.10 (quantal) version when I update my own system, some time in the coming weeks.

To automatically load the driver when your system boots, you'll want to add this line to /etc/modules:

Code:
    nct6775

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: New fan control / temperature sensor driver for Nuvoton NCT6775F, NCT6776F, NCT67

Thanks for setting this up. Works great!

Beans

Re: New fan control / temperature sensor driver for Nuvoton NCT6775F, NCT6776F, NCT67

Quote Originally Posted by foresto View Post
    After discovering that my ASUS P8Z77-V LK motherboard has the stupidest excuse for fan management that I've ever seen, I went looking for a way to automate my CPU and case fan speed via software. Ubuntu's fancontrol and psensor packages are quite handy, but they don't know anything about this motherboard's sensors or fan controllers. Guenter Roeck's nct6775 driver takes care of this nicely.

To tide myself (and others) over until this driver gets included with lm-sensors, I packaged it for management by DKMS on Ubuntu. By installing my package, the driver will be automatically built for your current linux kernel and any future updates, hassle-free. You can get my package here:

https://launchpad.net/~foresto/+archive/extradrivers

It's currently built only for Ubuntu 12.04 (precise). I'll upload a 12.10 (quantal) version when I update my own system, some time in the coming weeks.

To automatically load the driver when your system boots, you'll want to add this line to /etc/modules:

Code:
    nct6775

I stumbled on this same problem last week with a similar motherboard (P8Z77-V Pro). I have found that the driver works well for the two chassis fans that I happen to have connected inside my case (they turn up connected to fan3 and fan4). I have had less success with the CPU FAN. It shows up as fan2, but seems to always run right around 1000 rpm. I haven't been able to extert any control over its speed. Have you seen similar results?

I have turned off fancontrol and have tried to manually adjust it, but to no avail. I noticed that after running pwmconfig, the two controllable fans are left with pwm{34}_enable set to 1 (manual control) but pwm2_enable is set to 5 (Thermal Cruise mode). Manually setting this to 1 doesn't seem to affect things either. I find myself wondering if the fan is not connected to the associated pwm output.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tadt View Post
    I have had less success with the CPU FAN. It shows up as fan2, but seems to always run right around 1000 rpm. I haven't been able to extert any control over its speed. Have you seen similar results?
    I haven't had that problem. You might want to ask on the lm-sensors email list, or contact Guenter directly in case there's a motherboard flaw he should be aware of.

Beans

Update: I've been building new packages for each new github release. We're currently up to version 1.1 for Ubuntu 13.04 (raring).