Thread: grub gives "incompatible license" after 12.10 upgrade

Beans

grub gives "incompatible license" after 12.10 upgrade

i did an upgrade to 12.10 and now i get an "incompatible license" error at boot and it drops me into grub repair. the system is installed on a mdadm raid1 device. i have tried changing the boot order in bios. i have tried boot-repair using default settings and here is the log http://paste.ubuntu.com/1303696/ .

i will only be supporting this machine for about 1 more year, so if fixing it will make my replacement's job more difficult i would prefer to do a fresh install to 12.04 server since this computer is only used headless, and doesn't run anything that requires x (right now it is running desktop).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: grub gives "incompatible license" after 12.10 upgrade

thats is due to the newest grub 2.0 which conflict with the previous grub 1.99 before upgrading . So the solution is to purge then reinstall grub-pc to only get a pure grub 2.0 installation.

so:

sudo apt-get purge grub-pc grub-common
    sudo apt-get install grub-pc

it will ask you where to install the bootloader (usually /dev/sda , but in your case it might be something like /dev/mda)

Beans

i tried your commands from a live-usb and it will not do it because it says failed to get canonical path of /cow and path /boot/grub is not readable by grub on boot. there is an option in boot-repair that reads "update to latest version" (or something like that) but when i tried it it complained that the repository for grub2 wasn't included. i added universe and ran apt-get update, but that didn't change it (i think it is talking about the sources on the md1).

is there a way to remove and reinstall grub without using apt-get or boot-repair on the drives?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hello

Quote Originally Posted by adenbley View Post
    i did an upgrade to 12.10 and now i get an "incompatible license" error at boot and it drops me into grub repair. the system is installed on a mdadm raid1 device. i have tried changing the boot order in bios. i have tried boot-repair using default settings and here is the log http://paste.ubuntu.com/1303696/ .
    According to this log, your upgrade has failed, because you only have:
    11.04 on /dev/sda3
    11.10 on /dev/sdb3
    11.10 on /dev/md1

so if i were you, i would reinstall the 11.10 which failed to upgrade, this way: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuReinstallation

@dino99: please would you have any link talking about such conflict?